Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PS1 disks worth fixing?

Options
  • 01-11-2023 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭

Hey folks!

After 4 years of will he, won't he, I finally moved into my own gaff and got a bunch of my stuff out of storage. My 5yr old is loving all the old games consoles and games I've got boxes of and I thought it'd be fun for her to try out the time crisis gcon gun I picked up just before it all went into storage.

well the gun works but the copy of time crisis with it, I just can't get it to work, either on the ps1 or PS2 I have.

Is there any successful methods to fix these disks at this point or am I off to ebay to get my fix in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭Quigs Snr

You can resurface them and that sorts most of them out. However, unless you have a resurfacer handy then its really not worth your while for Time Crisis which is only 6 euro for the platinum version on CEX right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,406 ✭✭✭RedXIV

How much is a resurfacer these days? I'd be half tempted to get one as I've about 80 odd ps1 games in the house and if it saved say 10 of them, could be worth it?

Mind you, might just buy time crisis for the gcon anyway :D

... if you are trying to save 10 copies of Castlevania Symphony of the Night, then go for it. Other than that you are looking at about 400 for something reasonably ok:

... if you are thinking of the cheap 40 euro machines on Amazon... dont do it.. absolute garbage that do more harm than good.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,430 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Chances are most of those games still work fine and you just got unlucky with a deep scratch somewhere on time crisis.

Ive a mountain of ps1 games, most of which were bought second hand and pretty much all of them still work fine. They're hardy enough discs.

You could always try the toothpaste trick on time crisis but it's such a cheap game I'd just buy another copy on eBay.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭xhomelezz

You can try Brasso, worked for me few times.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

toothpaste or a banana might just repair it well enough to be playable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,510 ✭✭✭SuperBowserWorld

Banana only works on Donkey Kong and Super Monkey Ball.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

• Registered Users Posts: 4,215 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Anyone tried one of these yokes for fixing disc scratches?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PROCARE-DVD-Disc-Cleaner-Reconditioner-Blue

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭tonyotonyo

Toothpaste method has worked great for me.

Put a good dab on the disc and rub it around in a circular motion with a rag, following the tracks again and again and again, like a good 5 minutes.

Rinse it under water, wipe clean.

Repeat again if needed. I've gotten rid of quite deep scratches that way and it's always nice to rescue things rather than adding to landfill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭Inviere

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Steve X2

I use VuPlex plastic and anti-static cleaner for cleaning/repairing/protecting acrylic and other plastics. It's fairly magic stuff on acrylic(if you resin 3D print you need this stuff on your printer covers) and I did use it to fix up a non readable CD a few times.

But the best stuff I've used for badly damaged discs was "PolyWatch Watch Face Scratch Remover and Repair Polish". A small bit on a cloth and 5 mins polishing has fixed up a lot of discs for me. You'll see vids on youtube of people using it to fix up retro console shells as well. I think its about €5 for a 5gram tube that would do a ton of discs.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭head82

I've a whole bunch of knackered PS1/PS2 discs as well. I've tried the typical toothpaste, Brasso methods and even oven hob cleaner! With varying degrees of success ( mostly unsuccessful ).

There's nothing amongst them that are particularly collectible or valuable but I'd hate to see them go to landfill if there's a chance they could be rescued. I'm tempted to try this 'cheap 'n nasty' method:

Anyone ever tried it or is it just overkill?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,528 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Cheap'n Nasty, yeah, sounds like him the chancer!

Have one here.

Absolute junk. Used with just the cleaning fluid it will remove finger prints etc... but put the buffing pads on and all it does it put swirl marks in the discs. Absolutely no comparison to the Disc Go Devil machine I have (for which supplies are outrageously expensive but that's a different problem - at least it works).

Advertisement