Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there such a thing as a "bar" that can be used to open and close an Irish Water water meter

Options
  • 01-11-2023 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭

Very difficult to open and close the one I have on a new property, big hands, confined space and less power in the hands than when I was 20 so just wonder is there a bar like we had for the old type stop cocks: it might be moulded to fit over the lever valve

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭jack of all

Similar issue with my own meter so I bought a stopcock key from Screwfix, Monument brand, short enough reach on it but does fit over the Irish Water crutch type handle. Simple enough device but well made, could be useful on other valves too.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

It depends on the SV, there are many different types, a small vice grips will do the job on most if you have patience. Post a photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

thanks guys, will need to pump it out first re the foto as its full of water and sediment

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭redarmyblues

Pro tip, use a takeaway coffee cup if you don't have a pump also glove up against knuckle nicks if you are operating in tight spaces in the BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks, an irish water van was next store earlier today and he fitted a longer handled open close thingy which comes above the meter so all good. he left the old one so I cam fashion a tool like the screwfix one

• Advertisement
Advertisement