Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paris Marathon 2024

Options
  • 01-11-2023 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭

Creating this thread for future me and anyone else who is signed up to this event next year. Supposed to be a good one, am looking forward to it and hopefully a decent time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭wersal gummage

Night time marathon?

Interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭chabsey

That's the olympic related event - I initially thought it was the marathon as well but it's a one off this year. The 'normal' Paris marathon is held during the day and that's the one I've signed up to.

Anyone else doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Magellanic

Hi @chabsey - I am planning on running it too. Looking forward to it now - 1st time.

Weather looks warm and humid!

Hi, good to hear from someone else heading over. Haven't been checking the weather because I generally torture myself with constant refreshes of it in the days leading up. Warm and humid isn't great but maybe in the morning it won't be too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭brick tamland

Just out of interest (for future reference), what kind of hoops did you guys have to jump through to get the required medical certificate?

No hoops really, I just went to the local GP and asked them to sign it. They did a basic check of my health and signed. I scanned and uploaded, it was verified about a week later.

I'd had a similar thing for the Florence marathon so I pretty much knew it was going to be straightforward. I believe @Lazare had a nightmare with his Milan marathon cert though, so it can be easy or a total pain depending on the marathon.

Out of interest have you a time in mind for this marathon? I'm aiming for around 3hr mark, hopefully less than 3:10. From looking at the guide it looks like I need to be in my corral at 7:45 for an 8am start, which means not much sleep for me.

I do have a time in mind alright but have been down with a virus all week so probably will drop it. Hoping to go sub 3:30 anyway and anything past that is a bonus.

It's an early start alright.

In the airport now - getting real.

Nice! Safe journey, I'm flying out tomorrow morning. I expect chaos at the expo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Yep, will never run another race in Italy anyway.

The problem was mainly the mind numbingly complex beurocracy and the terrible communication around it.

I avoided the barrage of medical tests by joining a club, but even then found it painful to get everything sorted.

Best of luck on Sunday guys, bon voyage.

Back in hotel now after Expo and dinner.

Was really straightforward picking up the number. Just get your medical cert stamped at one stall then over to another where they checked ID and QR code.

Expo itself is in a massive space, obviously designed to handle the crowds. 27°C in Paris tomorrow - gonna be a day for Al fresco lounging.

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭marathon2022

Best of luck this morning guys, give it your all

Back to hotel now, plenty tired from what was a great day.

Perfect conditions for it really.

Managed to get my sub 3:30 goal albeit my pacing strategy was all wrong - got carried away.

How did you get on @chabsey ?

Nice one, congratulations on getting your goal! My run didn't go that well in that I missed the time I'd hoped for (roughly around 3:05- 3:10 would've been ideal). I found it quite humid conditions, or at least I found myself sweating a lot more than normal a lot faster than I normally would. There was a nice breeze but after about 10k I knew I shouldn't be feeling as wrecked as I was. I should take the positives though, given I did not have any training plan I did ok, but you sometimes get notions :)

Advertisement