Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Davis anemometer

Options
  • 01-11-2023 2:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭

The anemometer on my VP2 is no longer recording wind speed but wind direction is working. I am considering trying to replace the reed switch but it is quite a fiddle to do. Unfortunately Davis do not offer a replacement part for my year 2009 model station and it is excessive to have to purchase a whole anemometer from them as their only other option. Does anyone have experience of replacing the reed switch or knowledge about getting parts?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭Liffey4A

Same happened my VP2 a few years ago.

I think it was https://www.weathershop.co.uk/weather-stations/home-weather-stations I contacted and they do repairs but in the end I ordered a Vantage Vue and changed some firmware settings to use my VP2 console with it.

Working fine since.

Watch out for import duties and ship to north if possible 😉

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Some years ago my Davis V2 anemometer was acting up like you described, my memory is a bit sketchy but I believe I was able to open the casing for the cups and I cleaned it out, re tightened and it worked fine after, been a while, can't remember if I used a screwdriver or Allen key. Mine is down off tge mast atm will have a look later to see how I did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭ecowise

It seems to be a weak point of the VP2. I suspect sending it to the UK for repair would probably work out more expensive than buying a new anemometer which is around the €200 euro mark. Strange that Davis sell a replacement part for newer models but not for this model.

To take it apart you need to use their 0.05" allen key. Fortunately I still have mine! However from what I have read on forums it is the reed switch that usually fails and it is a real fiddle to replace but cheap to buy (less than a euro from Farnell)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Ah yes remember now. Might be worth giving a clean out if you haven't done so, there was insects and web like material in mine when I cleaned it.

• Advertisement

You are probably correct as I have nothing to lose by taking it apart other than the time it takes to access it and dismantle it but if I could get an old but working unit from somewhere it would satisfy my reuse mentality!

Just to wrap this up, I found a seller on eBay offering an unused anemometer for a Davis Weather Wizard for a good price. I got it for less than half price of a new one. It is fully compatible with the Vantage Pro2. It is now installed and working.

Advertisement