Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Campervan conversion VRT

Options
  • 01-11-2023 9:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭

Is the cost of the VRT affected by the amount spent in converting it ?

IE if I send in reciepts for €20K of conversion costs v €10K does this affect the VRT price revenue will charge me ?

Assuming both would qualify

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Shoog

No. Receipts don't really come into it (you don't even have to submit them) it's a visual inspection based upon the perceived value of the converted vehicle. You can spend a lot of money or very little but if it appears the same then you will pay the same.

The best strategy is to design your layout for what you will need long term and then do a very basic visually cheap conversion for the inspection that will then be easily upgraded to your final design.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Thanks, I hate the ambiguos nature of this.

Especially these comments from others where they say "Make sure you send in ALL receipts" .. firstly if receipts mean so little why ALL of them and it seems to me the more evidence of money spent is just better vindication for crucifying people for VRT.

Taken from https://www.thevanconversion.com/post/converting-a-campervan-in-ireland

They will base their assessment on what dealers are charging and what is been sold on done deal.

If you managed to source really cheap parts and did a fantastic fit and finish they would still charge you top whack.

Ours was done about 5 years ago, we did a two stage conversion and sent no receipts. VRT was quite reasonable on a VW T4. You can always appeal a high assessment but you pay and wait for a refund if they reduce it.

It's a criminal activity as far as I am concerned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

Is the amount of belted seats fixed once the van is re-registered as a camper ?

I have a peugeot boxer with a bench twin passenger seat. So three seats in all. If I get this registered with 3 seats and then subsequently find out that camper insurance is cheaper with a walk way from cabin to cargo I may have to change the twin to a single.

Will the camper insurance be satisfied with a pic of the new seat arrangement or will I have to get the thing re-registered as a 2 seater??

The seats number are fixed at point of registration. To have them changed you would have to go back to the car registry and probably pay a fee.

A bench seat is likely to be an issue for most insurers as they are fairly insistent on front to back access and that means a clear walkway not a climb over.

As to the details of what the insurance will accept I cannot advise. Changing the seat number is a material modification so I expect they would need to be informed anyway.

• Advertisement
Advertisement