Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Payers name not visible on bank statements

Options
  • 01-11-2023 1:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi, I'm new here and I just have a question about my BOI account. I tried posting this in the Bank of Ireland Forum, but for some reason it keeps telling me I don't have permission to post there. So I'm sorry if this is the wrong forum. Feel free to move this thread where you think it should be.

I recently created a new Bank Of Ireland current account and everything is working fine so far. The only problem I have is that the payers name of incoming wire transfers is not visible on bank statements. The bank statements only show the payment reference numbers. Those are usually just long confusing numbers like: ffs7538dksgeyi8. That's just a made up number, but it looks exactly like this on my bank statements. It doesn't show where the money came from or who sent it.

This is a big problem because I'm required to send bank statements to a company every month as proof I'm receiving money. But they told me they cannot accept the bank statements because the payers name is not visible. The payment reference number is useless to them. It's not clear who exactly sent the money to my account. They asked me to do something about it, but I'm not sure what to do.

Is there any way to change this? It's my first bank account in Ireland and I never had this problem with any other bank outside of Ireland. In other countries the bank statements always show the full name of the person who sent the money.

Post edited by Jim2007 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭dohouch

@Waterfrog just my tuppence. Thought you had a BOI problem there, but I checked my AIB account and the only inbound payment with Payee name, is a payment I get from Germany. All accounts are personal accounts.

Make of that what you will 🤔

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Registered Users Posts: 3,766 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Opposite direction but occasionally my mother transfers funds to me from her BOI account via the app. She puts her name in as the reference and that appears exactly as she’s typed it on my AIB statement when it’s credited.

Always thought that the narrative for the crediting account is determined by whatever is keyed when the payment is initiated.

You add a narrative when sending the payment. If you don't, you get as you describe

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Whoever is sending you the money should be using a proper reference.

There is usually a field that asks you how you want the transaction to appear on bank statement.

If this is left blank a generic number is generated as you are seeing.

Go back to whoever is paying you and ask them to include a proper reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,803 ✭✭✭Tow

Irish Bank's legacy systems print the SEPA EndToEndId field as the 'Reference' on the paper bank statements, and may not even fit all 35 characters. This practice is standard per the 'rules' of the Irish Banking Federation.

With BOI, you should be able to see the other detail fields for credit transfers online. If a printout of this is not enough, you may have to change to a foreign bank.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Waterfrog

I also have an N26 account and everytime I send money from that account to my BOI account it always shows me a random reference number. Even if I put something else in as the reference. It's not visible on the bank statements. And if other companies send me money it's usually just my customer number or something like that on the bank statements. Not the name of the company. And most of the time the number is too long and won't fit on the statement.

The reason why this is so important is because I receive disability benefits from Germany. (I'm originally from Germany) And if my income is too high they will stop sending me those benefits and probably ask me to pay them back. That's why I need to show them how much money I receive every month and where the money is from.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,362 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

When you register a payee in your online account, Bank of Ireland and EBS both allow you to fill out a reference data field, this text will be visible to the payee every time you send them money. With AIB there is no such option and you have to manually enter reference data every time you send money to each of your payees. Or not.

OP needs to advise all these people who are sending him money that they need to put their names in the reference field. This is not something that the sending bank or the OP's bank (BoI) can fix.

Edit: I see that poster Princess Calla (post #5) has already made exactly the same point.

Post edited by coylemj on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,689 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Sounds like you'd be better off not using the BoI account and sticking with N26 or another German back who presumably would be already conforming to this requirement

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,070 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Closed for review.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement