Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Religion, Economics, History, English

Options
  • 01-11-2023 12:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi, I am wondering about adding on a third subject out of the list above. Which would be the best subject in terms of job opportunities. My undergraduate degree is in languages. I have twenty credits of economics from my undergraduate degree and I have always liked history and English.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Never mind job opportunities if you're going straight to Third Level. First, decide which CAO courses you'll apply for. Second, check if those courses have any specific LC result requirements from specific Leaving Cert subjects (e.g. H3 in HL French, Irish, etc).

Third, once those requirements are met choose the subject in which you're most interested.

I'd also suggest checking out the results from last year's cohort with the teacher of that subject. Some teachers are more exam focused than others and this matters if you need the points. Never mind national averages for subjects. What's important is ths result in your school in that subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Mandf

I am already close to qualified as a teacher. Just interested in adding one of these subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭Random sample

With Irish and French, I don’t think any other subject will make you more employable. I’d focus on extra curriculars to add to your cv instead.

English and history are very common subjects for teachers to have, and economics isn’t taught in every school. Religion is quite common too, and if it’s a non exam subject in the school it’s going to get less time on the timetable than exam subjects which reduces the need for teachers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,806 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

...on a pure principles point, i wouldnt go anywhere near economics...

best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Any except Economics as not every school offers it. But if you are qualified to teach Irish and French you shouldn't have a problem finding a job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement