Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

99 cr250 rebuild

Options
  • 31-10-2023 9:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭

Hey Folks,  

Gonna rebuild the old scrambler. Its been sitting in the shed for about a decade so everything must be replaced. Plenty of good stuff on youtube to give the project a direction I can follow. Any tips on suppliers for parts online? Good websites and ones to avoid? Also, when I was offroading I found the biker.ie workshop had some knowledgable folk once you got to know a few of the usernames. Took a look and I couldn't figure out how to register? Anyway, any Irish or British forums worth a look?

Fizzypish

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 873 ✭✭✭doctorchopper

Maciag offroad is excellent, as are 24mx. Be careful with UK sites as it will be very costly with vat and duty,

24mx.ie

maciag-offroad.com

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Biker.ie aren't taking on any new members, there are just a handful of people on the site now, which is a shame. It was a very busy site 10 years ago, with some good information, once you got over the few arseholes.

Most of the forums have moved onto Facebook groups, these aren't as easy to navigate imo and a lot of information gets lost.

The CR250 is a great bike by the way, I had a 99 one myself about 20 years ago, if you want some inspiration for your restoration, check out RRC on YouTube, he restored a CR recently, one of the older steel frame models

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Was thinking that was the case on biker. Pity. Way ahead of you on RRC. Came across him a few weeks ago. He's inspired me to try zinc plating.

I've done a blast of disassembly and labelling so far. The header has a load of dents that need to be taken out and the inner tube of the silencer is broken off. I'm attempting to repair before before I buy anything. Some cool videos on repairing with a blow torch and compressor. Full FMF kit is about 350....... Thats sufficiently expensive that I'm motivated to attempt repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 PopSensyDad

Just sharing info, the biggest motorcycle online shop in Japan Webike has OEM parts for CR250. Has a page for UK/IE shopper, in English. I have ordered quite few from them as a Japanese rider living in Dublin for 20-ish years.

(note: In Japan, only registered business company/personnel can purchase genuine parts from the maker. So the site for privateer says "OEM"...)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,938 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Wemoto have an .ie site. CMS are in the Netherlands so no tax/duty issues, shipping used to be expensive but they changed supplier and it's not so bad now.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement