Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

advantage feeders

Options
  • 31-10-2023 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭

hi all,I'm trying to make life easier and finish the lambs off early ,so looking at these feeders ,I only have about 30 ewes and hope to bucket rear 30 calves next year.

anyone on here have one of these feeders ,are they worth it ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭roosky

i bought one this year.

my logic was I would only fill it once a week or every few weeks and that cuts out the labour

to be honest I found it very difficulty to set right for the lambs, they were either not able to get enough as the feeder clogged (tried nuts and ration) or else there were eating excessive amounts

I also had a big issue with lameness because it was too awkward to move daily so it became a source of scald for the lambs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

The dampness this year didn't help the advantage feeders,

I fed .5 kg this year from weaning because of the poor weather and only for that i wouldn't have all my lambs gone now. grass all year was very low in DM and lameness was particularily bad this year too, even in sheep that wasn't near a feeder,

We use grennans elite lamb as it's a dustfree pellet, if the feed is dusty it attracts the moisture

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭jfh

That's a pain alright ,after spending the money ,you'd hope for the reward , did the seller offer any technical support to get it right ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭jfh

Thanks wrangler , you are supporter of it by the sounds of it . I wouldn't be moving my creep feeder too often anyway so be much the same what ever feeder I get .

you say the type of nut is important

• Registered Users Posts: 11,058 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Advantage feeders were originally designed for oats/barley feeding , so the feed has to be as free flowing as grain. If the pellets are dusty the dust will block it in damp weather. Most of this year we had to put fresh stuff in every second day, ie you couldn't fill it for the week.

If you're using an ordinary creep feeder the lambs spend most of the day at the feeder, whereas with the advantage feeder you seldom see them crowding the feeder, they're spread out around the paddock. They have to go off grazing for a while to wet their tongue to take out the pellets.

• Advertisement
Advertisement