Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cord Cutting Advice

Options
  • 31-10-2023 2:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭

Looking to ditch sky for my elderly parents.

In the past I've a fully autonomous Plex server with a DVR so am at least able to follow a setup guide.

Looking for

English FTA/Freesat channels along with Saorview and some streaming services like Netflix, NOW, Prime etc.

Is there a way of doing all this in one easy to use interface. Looking for something that will work once setup an not a backend server like Plex.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭NewClareman

If you want to use Freesat/Saorview the nearest you will get is something like the Zgemma H7s. You appear to have a technical capability. With a small amount of work you can configure this to have all the FTA channels on a single EPG which is very easy to use. You will find a lot of info on the dedicated thread.

If you want the various apps, etc I am not aware of any single box solution that combines satellite/terrestrial and the apps. Outside of Sky and Virgin Media, the nearest solution I have found is an AppleTV with eirTV for the FTA channels. You need eir broadband and eirTV.

A possible compromise is the Zgemma and a smart TV for the apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭decor58

Another possible option, might need a change of tv, the Vestel tvs, Walker, Nordmende, Toshiba, Telefunken, allow the channels on one list, full epg for SaorView,now and next for satellite, has some the main apps, Netflix, Amazon, YouTube, RTE player, TuneIn radio. A little bit of setup, minutes, main issue may be recording, can't switch channels between recordings, grand if you are out or not watching TV, records to a a HDD.

Post edited by decor58 on

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Romero

I'm in similar situation elderly parents the combo box died and I don't live close I would prefer to have a TV solution that could take the Ariel and satellite dish and combine the channel lists seamlessly, Is it only Vestel branded TVs that offer that functionality? Was hoping LG etc would offer something similar.

What brand and size is that in your photos?

Walker 43inch. LG are similar but you have to change source, its very quick using "quick access" buttons, say press 1 for 2 secs for SaorView, press 2 for 2 secs for Freesat, that's a big plus with LG. Freesat gives you 7 day epg, auto updates but some on here have issues renumbering Saorview on LG tvs. We have an LG and Walker, my wife prefers the Walker, fewer button presses. Pro's and con's to both.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Romero

Thanks great Info

Can you say download a.backup channel list on the Walker or is it manually program the sat channels you want.

I need it to be easy for my mother so she can go from Rte 1 to Bbc 1 easily, is picture quality reasonable on the Walker?

• Advertisement

In the setup there is a choice between manual sat tuning or download from SatCodex, this installs a preset list of channels, I dont know how up to date it is, I didn't use it.

The picture quality is fine, the difference between BBC in full HD and RTE is close but a distinct difference between BBC/RTE and VM in sd.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Grey123

Eir do a package for 9.99 a month that could do all that.

I think sky do similar.

Might end up cheaper and should be low maintenance.

Does it need to be all in one even if you could get a remote switch between TV, Freesat box, and a stick with apps.?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Always needs reminding that if you are considering a free to air satellite solution and are moving from Sky Q you will also need to replace the LNB on the dish, if (as is very likely unless you asked at the outset for a hybrid) it is a wideband LNB. The one and only free to air receiver that works with it is the Arris Freesat 4K.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,309 ✭✭✭✭ted1

just get Sky Lite €10 a month, keeps the box, recording, apps, on demand/players and most free to air channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Bellie1

Don't realise on demand came with the Sky Q lite package. So with nowtv every now and again, it's as good as paying the full amount for skytv?

• Advertisement
Advertisement