Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best way to drain water that is pooling outside my house

Options
  • 30-10-2023 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi

Rainwater often pools outside my sunroom after heavy rain. I'd appreciate any suggestions on the best way to sort this out. The sunroom just out from the main part of the house. There's an L-shaped path around 2 sides of the sunroom and a patio around the third side. The rainwater pools at the end of the path where it meets the patio. There's a drainage vent at the other end of the L-shaped path but the path slopes away from it.

I was thinking that either I could get a new french drain installed to drain the water under the garden from where it pools at the moment. Or maybe get the path updated to make it slope towards the existing drain around the corner from where the water pools at the moment.

I've attached some pictures of how things look at the moment. The water often pools so that it's level with the patio, much more than what's there in the pictures.

Any suggestions appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,262 ✭✭✭standardg60

It was poor to lay the patio above the normal drainage of the path there without making some allowance for it.

Easiest thing though not very aesthetic is to drill some 12 or 15 mm holes through the path. There'll be hardcore underneath so should drain fine then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Rabrizio Favanelli

Hi, thanks for the reply. How deep would the holes need to be would you say?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,262 ✭✭✭standardg60

You just need to drill through the path, probably around 10cm

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Mr321

Would you say there's a fall on water or a higher point of concrete at the centre of the house wall? . One towards the shed and the other towards the patio?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Rabrizio Favanelli

Hi Mr321, not sure if I'm following your question right, but if I push the pool of water with a yard brush away from the patio up to where the path turns towards the shed, the water just flows back down to the patio. So there's a continuous slope of the path down to the patio on that side of the house. Once I push the water around the corner of the house it's ok, it doesn't flow back to the patio, if anything there's a slight slope from the corner of the house down to the shed (and there's a drain-pipe just before the shed).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭Mr321

Thanks. Yes I'm trying see where then fall is as I seen the shed and patio.

But really when you say you have to sweep it there isn't much of a flow naturally hence your problem.

Other then getting the concrete taken out and redone the other option is drain channels along the stone wall down to the patio then lifting a line out of those patio slaps and making a drain with a soak pit of stones down the patio around where the steps are to get put on the lawn.

Same the other side down towards the shed and take a drain channel straight out from that gully towards the stone wall so it'll catch any other water coming down that way

• Registered Users Posts: 27,034 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Before you drill any holes, I would bet money that most of that water is coming from the gutter shoe in heavy rain.

I bet the water is missing the gully and spilling onto the path.

Next time it rains watch what the water does at that gutter/gulley, you might even take out the filter/cover and see if that helps.

Advertisement