Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Certificate of Freedom to Marry and witness requirements

Options
  • 30-10-2023 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi there,

I require a Certificate of Freedom to Marry as part of marrying a non-EU citizen in their country. The signed application form needs to be witnessed and the foreign affairs department in ireland website lists the following conditions required for the witnesses:

Who can be a witness?

Your witness must:

• Know you personally
    • Know a third party personally who can identify you
    • Be able to verify your identity through your official documents (e.g. a passport)

Applying in Ireland

Your witness can be:

• A notary public
    • A Commissioner for Oaths
    • A solicitor

I don't personally know a notary public, a commissioner of oaths, or a solicitor, so how would I go about getting them as a witness? Or is it I just find one and they witness it and the requirement for me knowing them personally is not a real requirement?

Comments

These are an or, not an and...

• Know you personally
    • Know a third party personally who can identify you
    • Be able to verify your identity through your official documents (e.g. a passport)

Advertisement