Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish music hall songs

Options
  • 30-10-2023 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,543 ✭✭✭✭

Are these considered to be part of the 'acceptable' repertoire when it comes to a trad/ballad session in a pub? I'm talking about the songs which emerged out of the British and American music halls of the 19th and early 20th centuries, not even written by Irishmen a lot of the time, but obviously with Irish themes. Songs that would later be sung by singers such as Willie Brady, Joseph Locke and Val Doonican. Songs like Paddy McGinty's Goat, I'll Take you Home Again Kathleen, Mick McGilligan's Daughter, Mrs. Fogerty's Christmas Cake, When Irish Eyes are Smiling and so on.

It's an interesting body of work which seems to exist alongside the standard folk repertoire (although I'm aware that at least a few original music hall numbers have also made this crossing like Rocky Road to Dublin), but is perhaps underrepresented relative to the number of songs which exist. But that could well just be my own ignorance/perception.

So, do ye like singing/hearing these kinds of songs in sessions, and what would be some that would be maybe lesser known that you're fond of?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

There's a great wee band in Galway called Giro, their singer/flute and piccolo player does some of these music hall songs influenced by the Flannagan Brothers, this is a version of Bridget Flynn.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

Advertisement