Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caring for elderly parent

Options
  • 28-10-2023 7:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi all, my mum went in to hospital a strong capable woman and came out a week later, weak. Vulnerable and with a horrible diagnosis. She is house bound at the moment and pretty much couch bound all day.

this has turned out world upside down. I’ve 3 young children and live about 10 min drive from my mum.

my dad is (who is worse than a child and has spoiled by my mum over the years) and 3 siblings are also around.

any tips or advice on how to help care for her. they are not cooking so we are trying out best to bring up healthy meals but so hard trying to manage home life and that. I’m trying to visit every day but can’t bring the kids as she is in a bit of pain and discomfort.

any ideas on how to help, especially with meals and boredom?

she was so active before and an avid reading but doesn’t seem to have the interest/concentration to read right now.

thank you all.

Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,644 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Mod: Moved to Long Term Illness from Surveys and non-media research.

-Shield

• Registered Users Posts: 24,807 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Contact a Public Health Nurse.. sounds like to me a homecare package should have been sought and approved before her discharge…

I know they are increasingly difficult to get… out of control population growth & a shortage of carers being two reasons and it sounds like as a result your poor Dad and yourselves have been left to pick up their jobs which is in no way fair at all…

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭Icsics

Definitely contact the Public health nurse, she can do an assessment & you might get home help. My father finds the meals on wheels great, PHN might also recommend where these can be sourced. The key to the supports is the PHN

• Registered Users Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

As has been said, PHN is absolutely agood start, they can get the community Occupational Therapist to see if there's anything they can add. They can also assess eligibility for any care package your mum might be entitled too, or suggest any charitable organisations that could offer advice/assistance etc.

Regarding dinners, the dietitian I worked with in hospital often suggested Wiltshire Farm foods to people who didn't meet meals on wheels criteria (PHN might be able to offer advice on meals in wheels too). SuperValu (and I think Aldi/Lidl) do fresh (as in not frozen) pre made meals which aren't ridiculously expensive either.

Best of luck.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Advertisement