Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Loft Flooring for storage loft lift legs vs adding more joist

Options
  • 29-10-2023 10:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hello, I know this has been asked a bit but reading through some of the post I'm still a bit confused.

My loft has 1 1/2" X 4 1/2" joist they span ~ 12ft before being supported by an internal wall then span another 12ft to the other side of the house and are spaced ~15" apart.

I would like to board it for storage and maintain 250mm to 300mm for insulation. Is it stronger/support more weight adding another joist say 6X2 perpendicular to the current ones then board over that or would the additional wight of the new joist make it worse. Or is it better to use loft lifts over the current joist. I can get a pack of joist fairly economically that lift 175mm then can board over that.

The loft will just be used for storage but we have quite a bit to hide up there and we would be walking around up there while doing so.

Thanks

Advertisement