Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renovating an OLD Pub ( commercial unit downstairs, 4 bedroom house on 2 floors above)

Options
  • 29-10-2023 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi all,

I am renovating an old family Pub and converting downstairs to a commercial unit suited for Food / Offices / Medical etc. Have all planning / fire certs etc secured for the project.

Question - How should I "finish" the commercial "box" given I dont yet have a tenant. Obviously I will get it wired, double slabbed with a fire alarm etc. Should I put in Air-Con / suspended ceiling and plaster walls at this point ? Planning to leave the floor as bare concrete ?

Does anyone know what "Commercial Renters" expect ?

Sorry for the vague questions, but my architect / builder / QA all say "it depends!"

Finally, If not obvious at this point - I am not a property developer !! I am just trying to make a building thats been in the family for generations viable so I can pass to my kids !

thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,025 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Not trying to be funny. But it depends.

Commercial tenancies exist in all forms. Depends on who the target is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

The key piece is location, if in the ahon-w, then it could a white elephant.

While the market for smaller properties may not be impacted too much but there is a commercial property crash coming

I think the target market is too wide

Wiring for food very different to medical: eg a decent coffee machine will require 3 phase at the machine, where ever that will be

Not everyone will want to live over a chipper with that huge grease laden smelly extract fan running late at night.

Equally if it becomes an abortion centre..... the pro life crowd wouldn't be a good look for tenants in the house

In passing It will require two different BERs

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,025 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

In addition to power, Grease traps and the like will be required for food premises. Food retail is almost a separate type in itself. I wouldn't woory too much about people not wanting to live nearby, that's not OPs problem unless he is also the landlord for the appartments.

Advertisement