Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Feeling so down after getting PRK

Options
  • 28-10-2023 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

I had laser eye surgery with Optilase two weeks ago and I got the PRK surgery. I was made aware that PRK is more painful with a longer recovery than the other option. But I qualified for PRK and it cost 795 per eye which I thought was a good price.

When you read the information about PRK it generally says you'll be back to normal within 5-7 days, being able to watch tv, drive, use a computer screen etc. but my vision is still terrible.

I was very shocked at how bad the pain was between days 1 and 6. The pain only subsided on day 6. I was in a dark room for the first three days, unable to walk around the house or do anything other than sit in pain. I honestly wasn't expecting that level of pain. And I'm also shocked at how bad my eyesight is at the moment. But the people at Optilase tell me it can take anywhere between a month to six months for my vision to be good. I have a life, a son, a job, and things to do. I need to drive. And I feel completely incapacitated by my lack of vision. Has anyone else had this experience? I honestly feel a bit tricked by them. I don't think they prepare for you how bad your vision is and for how long. I wish I'd never gotten it done. Even if I end up with perfect vision, it's not worth all of this. I'm feeling really down about it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9 SamBlumenthal

Can feel what you are going through. The doctors should clearly specify each and every pros and cons of PRK before the procedure begins. After the surgery, it takes about a week to regrow the cells on the surface of the cornea. It will take up to 6 weeks for the cells to smooth and allow for clear vision. Have some patience, you will be fine. If you still have blurry vision after 6 weeks, then consult a professional optometrist.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Mitzy

I had PRK about 20 years ago. Yes there was a lot of pain after it & it took a few weeks before my vision was correct. I certainly was not able to drive for a couple of weeks which I didn't expect at the time. However, I was absolutely thrilled with the results. Once it settles down you should have 20/20 vision.

I was told at the time by my doctor that I might need reading glasses as I got older and that is the stage I am at. I am hoping that I can have the procedure done again even though I know what it entails. I am not sure if it is possible to have it repeated but I had almost 20 years of perfect vision which was just so wonderful.

I hope you feel better soon OP but the recovery just takes time I'm afraid which should have been explained by your doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭SmallgirlBigcity

Thanks to both of you for your replies. I guess I just didn't realise how long it would take. I'll hang in there though. Hopefully it's all worth it once I can see properly again :) thanks!

Advertisement