Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Letterbox / letter flap for sliding porch door

Options
  • 28-10-2023 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭

We have a sliding porch door which had two plastic coated steel letter flaps one on each side which were originally spring loaded, the springs departed quite a while ago, the inside flap has now broken off entirely and the outer one looks like it might soon do the same.

The door is made out of aluminium and the thickness where the letter opening is is about 5mm. Problem is, in store and online I can only find letterboxes (with two sides) which fit wooden or composite doors of 25mm thickness or more.

We'd like a similar arrangement to what we have now - a hinged flap on each side of the door. I've tried B&Q, Screwfix, Woodies, Amazon, eBay, Brooks, and a few builders providers with no luck. Any ideas?

Life ain't always empty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Also the original two flaps are pop riveted to each other, I have a pop riveter but the fixing holes would need to be in the same places, is this standard?

There are quite a few double letter flap arrangements which have a plastic 'tunnel' in between them which could, I suppose, be cut down to allow a thinner door thickness, but I suspect these are designed to be secured to the door with woodscrews, none of them online show how they're actually secured to the door.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I can't be the only person on Boards with a sliding porch door and a letterbox, can I? 😟

Life ain't always empty.

Advertisement