Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damp spots gable end attic wall

Options
  • 28-10-2023 9:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭

Hi. Semi detached house. I was up in the attic and I noticed that an area of the gable end exposed wall is mouldy and looks to have damp drops on it.

Sand and cement render on the outside that looks intact but might have a slight crack... hard to see.

Roof looks OK from the inside.

Is this a matter of just needing more ventilation in the attic maybe or could water be penetrating from the outside?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭Cerco

If there is a chimney over the gable then it is probably due to lead flashing movement. It may need to be dressed and sealed or replaced. This is a common problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,296 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

What is the wall make up?

Double wall blockwork or hollow block?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Hollow block

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Thanks. No chimney on that side

• Registered Users Posts: 23,296 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Ya with hollowblock, you are strongly relying on external render so I'd have a look around Externally at all areas above the damp spot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement