Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Choosing an electric hoist

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,641 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Personally I'd go with the 2nd one. The design and tech is fairly bullet proof hence its cheaper. Not allot to go wrong and all relatively separate and accessible. Yes it's bigger.

Secondly I Personally wouldn't bother doing it the way you describe. I'd rent a decent mid tier breaker hilti to be specific I don't think anything else comes close. And chip around the edges. This should be very doable without the support and faff. It will be faster too.

I've seen folks take down stacks with just a Hammer and a chisel very easily. You won't know till you start the first 2 or 3 bricks/blocks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,243 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

So another idea? Get a chain hoist. Something like this

One that is lighter still (1ton) might suit you. That one says it weighs 7kg but I'd guess it is a little more but nothing like 20kg.

If you have never used one then they are great for accurate positioning. You have a loop of chain that you pull on one way to make the lifting chain go up and the other for it to go down. The only downside is the chain loop can get in the way.

I have one similar to this https://www.amazon.co.uk/Anbull-Galvanised-Oil-Free-Capacity-Lifting/dp/B08JGYH192/ except I think I paid £10 in a Lidl sale in the UK. I'd never use it at its full capacity but up to 500kg its fine. Any chain hoist is going to be half the price of your cheapest option and a lot lighter to move around.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks guys: I really do appreciate the suggestions.

Lister: I have a hilti T62 ATC so I think I will start with that

The compressor idea wont work anyway as it won't go into the house so a risk of it being stolen as house is unoccupied so back to the kango idea.

The chain hoist is an idea but I also want to use it later for lifting buckets of mortar for block laying so would be a bit tedious, we'll see, maybe start with the chain block which has the plus of not requiring power.

Any experience of the VEVOR brand, I presume it Chinese

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Mass concrete? That'll be fun.

Attach crane to top of chimney and lift it out? 😀

I'm looking at that pour and almost guarantee it will be a ball of shite, loose enough once you get into it.

I expect you might need something a bit bigger than the t62. And kango will work fine once your on top of it at waist level.

It would be my personal tool of choice for this.

• Advertisement

Its soft enough down below but my neighbours who have done it say the top piece outside the tiles is bullet hard

Its 24" on the narrow side and 36" across the ridge

The 62 might be a bit light but I will give it a shot.

What I have done before is drill holes a row of holes across and then use spade chisels to split it.

Slower but effective.

Will pick up an 18 or 20mm metering drill later

Lumen,

This? would do the whole house!

or

• Registered Users Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭10-10-20

I suppose explosives are out of the question...? 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭10-10-20

On that train of thought, what about cracking it with paste and removing sections?

Probably unsafe as it could make the whole chimney unstable. I presume it was manufactured with steel reinforcement?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭monseiur

If there is no reinforcement and you have some room to swing a sledge hammer get yourself a good a set of plug & feathers and a Hilti or similar drill & masonry bit to suit. Chipping at it with a Kango will take ages

My neighbour did a similar job and he said the piece above the ridge is bullet hard, the rest is soft enough, I know this as I have drilled it around the fireplace and its not hard, the bits keeps going

• Advertisement

Thanks for the idea, once we get down below being level thats worth a look

ps just ordered a set of 3 by 300mm deep with a 25 mm diameter hole as I think they would be very useful for the top piece

Will keep you posted

Post edited by Calahonda52 on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,835 ✭✭✭enricoh

Bought a kango in Lidl 5 years ago e100 , it'd have n bother shifting that. Concrete back then was closer to 5n than 35n with seashells for extra strength!

The seashells make it more expensive, got that sweet beach vibes

Made an error here: I read it as a set of 3. ordered too late at night..

It arrived today: quite a formidable piece of kit: will probably keep it, given that I bought the 25mm bit...

is a smaller version but at 115 deep not enough for this project

Picked up this in my local hire shop: 250 kg capacity, weighs 2.1 kg so should be easy to manage with the kango.

Made in France, look a decent build

Works a treat, machine is perfectly balanced

That's not a chimney stack !

😉😄

Ooh Doh

This was product application development/ enhancement!

Be interesting to see how it will work once I put in the diamond cutting disk, which has a lot more mass than the abrasive

stack will need a heavy kango which this chain hoist will do grand

Could be a big seller when it gets out of beta

Hooking up this guy later: 1.5 kg

• Advertisement

So got started but then the rain came

It works but elec hoist would be better so as a mate could then lower the saw as the cutting goes down the wall.

I know its only block but the saw makes light work of it.

Need scaffold to get up to waist level for the barge

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Will you be scaffolding the chimney ?If so I think you could forget using a pulley to take the weight and just start by standing on top with a good breaker and keep breaking down under you so that you don't have to carry it while working .

Hilti has a backpack now like what cameramen use to distribute the weight and balance of tools . Probably a bit awkward in an attic space but worth a look on YouTube

My original suggestion was for a continuous chain hoist. One where you use a loop of chain to move the lifting chain up or down. The reason for the suggestion was they allow precise height control and you would be able to control the lift height from the working position.

Hope to work from inside out through the roof as site is vacant so scaffold would get stolen, fact of life down here

Just had a bad thought :-( Just make 100% sure that the loop of chain is well out of the way when cutting and can't accidentally swing across the disk.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,264 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I was involved in a 1950s house remodel 3 years ago. Concrete chimney just like that to take all the way to the floor.

It took 2 lads a week to get it down and out of the house. It was like granite.

• Advertisement

You will find it tough going to break the chimney cap from inside the roof. I've used the lightweight scaffold towers and roofing ladders in those situations. It can be erected and dismantled everyday and taken with you in the evening. Keep us updated anyhow and good luck with it

Advertisement