Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Building a house in the Garden

Options
  • 27-10-2023 2:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

Hi,

I have no idea what I am doing with this so I hope that some people can help me answer a few questions.

I live in an end of terrace house that has a detached garage and a very large back garden, the garden is bordered at the rear by the car park of an small apartment block. I am looking to build a mews type house in the garden, I can try and approach this in a couple of ways:

1 Divide the property from front to back, replacing the garage with the mews giving a front and back garden to the new build

2 Smaller division to the front, remove the garage build a mews or single story to the rear of the back garden accessed by a long driveway

3 Keep the front of the house as is and negotiate a right of way through the apartment car park for a bungalow built at the end of my garden.

Whatever option I go with where do I start, the list is too long from splitting the land and new deeds to planning, solicitor for dealing with the Apartment Management Company. After planning permission how do I proceed I need to finance it or partner with a builder/developer sell the land with planning permission, please offer some advice.

Thanks in advance.

T

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭houseyhouse

I think your first step would be a meeting with your planning office. That way you have a better idea what’s possible for this area and site, including how much land would need to go with each house and so on. If the car park for the apartments is private land and you don’t have a right of way, you could have a very hard time getting permission.

After that you’ll need to hire somebody to do the drawings etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 39,025 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Which you should do depends on which is the best design.

However you you can't finance this, there is little point worrying as you won't be doing it. Do what's cost effective for you.

Advertisement