Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fitting Slightly Oversize Bifold Shower Door

Options
  • 27-10-2023 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi All,

I have an alcove shower with a wall to wall measurement of 952mm. I'm looking to fit a contemporary shower door, 8mm glass with black trim (Flair Oro). My issue is the manufacturers min spec limit is 960. I've looked at other brands and all seem to be the same (Very limited options in this style). Noted that I can get a bifold with a min spec limit of 950 but the look is wrong..

Anyone have any experience of trying to do what I want to do - I'm thinking there may me some give in the seals or the side trim could be modified slightly. Last resort is a new glass panel for the bifold 8mm narrower than supplied. (Also I have contacted the supplier and they are sticking to their printed spec limits with no options to gain the additional few mm).

Custom is an option but $$$$.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,436 ✭✭✭✭Alun

We had a Flair Oro bifold door fitted recently and had a similar issue. Our opening was approx 910mm so the one with a 900m max opening was just a bit too small. We fitted what Flair call a "20mm Compensating Wall Profile" to the wall on the non-hinged side, and the existing aluminium profile attached to that.

I understood from Flair that you could use multiple ones screwed together but in your case you'd need 3 of them to enable you to use the next size down (max 900mm) which wouldn't look great I think.

I did wonder why the various sizes they offer don't overlap in a sensible way so that all in-between sized openings could be accommodated with a minimal use of the extra profiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Not recommended practice at all but could you finish the tiling further back into the shower and so give yourself the thickness of the tiles + adhesive on the two sides?

The only other possible solution I can think of would be if it's possible to get 8mm, or slightly more, removed from the edge of the door where the handle is attached. There's a good bit of clearance between the handle and the edge of the glass, so 1cm wouldn't make any noticeable difference. You can't take anything off the edges where the hinges are (on both panels) as they're pre drilled for the hinges, so that's the only place where it'd work.

I've no idea how or where you'd get something like that done however.

EDIT: After a bit of googling it appears you can't cut toughened glass, so that's a non starter unfortunately.

Good luck, it's a great door with nice clean uncluttered lines, but can be tricky to install properly. My guy did his best, but had to call Flair in to get it all aligned properly in the end.

Post edited by Alun on

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭wavert

Appreciate the replies.

The area is fully tiled so I have to work with what I have.

Also agreed stacking profiles will just take away from the look and cutting tempered glass isn't an option.

Never easy once you deviate from standard!

I'm going to attempt to fit the 1000mm door! Will report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,886 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Why would you try to make it fit when the manufacturers told you it won't fit?

You are obviously going to interfere with the integrity of the unit and lose all warranty, it might be the look you prefer for the shower door but they are made to serve a functional purpose and if it doesn't function properly you will be dumping it and buying one that fits.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Advertisement

I agree. It won't fit.

There are two aluminium profiles which attach to the walls, and two profiles that slide over these two that provide the adjustment. When they're both pushed in as far as they will go, to achieve the minimum spacing, there's nothing else to do to reduce it further.

Plus it's not the easiest door to install. There's plenty of instructions but not a word of text, it's all pictures so easy to overlook some vital bit of information. My plumber who's installed a few shower doors in his time, together with help from myself, spent the best part of a day on it and still didn't get it 100% right and had to call Flair in to remedy it.

You can download the installation instructions from the website. Might be an idea to take a quick look first.

Post edited by Alun on

Advertisement