Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Replacing mouldy mdf workshop shelves - with what and how protect those from mould

Options
  • 27-10-2023 1:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I bought galvanised shelving for my workshop and they came with mdf shelving which lasted 2 minutes when the less warm weather came - ending up plastered with mould. The workshop shed is far from air tight so if the air is damp it will come in but does have ok ventilation (in that air will flow through the shed). I need to replace the particleboard shelves with something more mould resistent. My options are replace the whole shelving that cost me €340 and a day to install with something metal (at a cost of €700) or try replace the wooden shelving with maybe OSB or plywood.

What wood should I use and what treatment?

I'm veering towards OSB and some sort of treatment. I'd get 4 shelves per 8x4 at probably €20 per sheet.

Any advice is very welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭jack of all

I would suggesting replacing the MDF with either OSB 3 or plywood, but either material should be sealed with a min. of 2 coats of varnish, either water based or tradtional polyurethane. My own preference would be poly varnish- my own shed is unheated and has both OSB and ply shelving which has performed well over 7 + years. MDF is a great material for certain applications ( just like chipboard/ particleboard) but is not suitable for use in damp environments. Where are you buying the OSB at those prices?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Thanks for that. The price for osb was just from googling it. Is it way off?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,857 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

You'd be better off to replace it with some kind of galvanised steel, either a strong mesh or something cut to fit depending on the frame to hold it. If you knew any welder or small engineering works they'd put you on the right track.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

Advertisement