Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Effective use of a dehumidifier

Options
  • 27-10-2023 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

I am hoping you guys can help, I am not sure what I am doing wrong here but I seem to be unable to use this new dehumidifier correctly. Its a puzzle I can't seem to work out on my own, should not be this complicated but it clearly is 😅

We live in a renovated old cottage, the old part was put back to brick with an extension build all fully insulated. The old part of the house is North-East facing so it gets almost no sun. All of this means that while the house is warm the new part of the house (South-West facing) has a humidity reading of between 50-55% with no dehumidifier. However the old part of the house is between 70-85% (can get as high as 90%).

When our son was born I bought a small dehumidifier for his room to maintain it between 50-60% and that has been working well but the truth is that its too humid in the rest of the old part of the house so I bought a new larger dehumidifier, second hand off Adverts. Its a CHiQ Portable Air Conditioner 7000 (this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/CHiQ-Portable-Air-Conditioner-7000/dp/B097HMXDSG). There does not seem to be a humidity setting, just the aircon temp number. However from reading the instruction booklet, the lower number seems to indicate lower humidity when in the dehumidifier setting.

So here is the problem, I turned it on Wednesday night as a test in the sitting room, in around 10/20 mins it reduced the humidity by 10% (from 62% to 51%) which was great. Yesterday morning I put it into the corridor in the old side of the house but over a 24 hour period it seemed to make no difference. See below.

To explain, the old side of the house is just 1 long corridor. Our bedroom is off to the left as you walk in, our sons bedroom is off to the right slightly further down the corridor, then the bathroom on the right and after that the kitchen and sitting room are in the new part of the house at the end of the corridor, the star is the dehumidifier.

The dehumidifier is in the corridor between the 2 bedrooms, the extractor fan of the dehumidifier (rear) is pointed down the corridor and the front is pointed at our bedroom (bedroom 1). 4 hours later no change in humidity. I then added a large fan to circulate the air out of bedroom 1 down the corridor and another 4 hours later still nothing. It was left on overnight, without the large fan, and still no real difference in the humidity levels.

This morning I went to empty the water tank and ... maybe a glass of water came out, a small one if anything. If the water tank had been full I would have understood, there would have been tonnes of humidity and it just needed time for me to see the effects in the levels but practically no water came out of the tank. As a sanity check, I brought the dehumidifier into the sitting room and ran it again, it lowered the humidity straight away (well 10% over an hour but that was with a full load of washing drying in the room too).

I'm honestly at a complete loss as to why I can't get it working in the old part of the house, the dehumidifier is clearly working as it is definitely reducing the humidity in the sitting room but its not reducing it in the corridor or the old part of the house. I'm obviously using it wrong but I have no idea what I am doing wrong and the instruction booklet is light on information.

Any advice is welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,708 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Hi!

That amazon device is a "portable air conditioner" and does have a dehumidifier function, but isn't a full-on dehumidifier. It's ability to remove moisture is effectively a secondary function to its primary function of being an AC unit, and I have a feeling that it's going to be a lot less efficient at doing so than a dehumidifier would be. You might be best off using a desiccant based dehumidifier as it would work better in lower temperatures.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭riddles

Plus one for this if the opening in the hall it may reduce the humidity anyway but also if the hall temperature is 15% that type of humidifier may not work effectively

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Dara Robinson

I've been working on it most of the day and I was coming to this conclusion myself.

Looks like I'll have to buy something else.

Advertisement