Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

electric underfloor heating- any good?

Options
  • 27-10-2023 8:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭

hi all,

we are looking at getting an extension done and opening up the wall between the kitchen and living room.

The issue we have is that the existing wooden laminate floor that is installed on the downstairs wooden sub floor has n=been discontinued and i cant get extra for the extension anywhere.

We also have tile in the kitchen, so when we take down the wall between the kitchen and living room, we don't want a transition strip from tile to wooden floor.

So we are now thinking of extending the same tile that's in the kitchen throughout the hall, living room, and extension.

The only thing is tile tends to be on the cold side so we are looking for advice on the electric underfloor heating mats.

Has anyone tried them and do they work well?

Once installed do you have to pour self leveller on top of the mats?

The mats would be going on a suspended wooden floor so do i need to make sure the mats are put on top of thermal reflective board?

Is the board screwed to the wooden sub floor and stuck with tile adhesive to the concrete floor of the extension?

I see screwfix do a 10m2 mat for €285, has anyone any experience with this?

The size of the rooms are:

kitchen (which will not have underfloor heating as these tiles were laid along time ago) is 12.5m2 but this will have a vertical rad

living room= 15.6m2 but will have one vertical rad

extension= 19.69m2 but will have one vertical rad

Any other advice would be much appreciated

Advertisement