Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hospital Negligence?

Options
  • 26-10-2023 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

Forgive me if this is posted in the wrong place lads.

Just wanted to get some thoughts on an experience my family had recently with a hospital.

My mam was having issues with kidney stones and was referred to hospital to have them removed. The hospital inserted a stent (not entirely sure what the purpose of the stent was) but she was told she'd have to go back in a few weeks to have the stent removed.

In the mean time while waiting to be called she was having some discomfort which we were told was normal because of the stent but that she could also have an infection so she was prescribed what i assume were antibiotics.

Weeks later she got a letter referring her to a private hospital to have the stent removed but on the day this was supposed to be done they told her she had an infection and that they could not perform the procedere until the infection was cleared up. They then referred her back to the original hospital that was dealing with her.

When she was eventually called, they too confirmed she had an infection in her urine but they proceeded with the surgery to remove the stent. Not sure how relevant it is but i feel its important to note that while she had an infection, she was not by any means sick.

Within hours after the procedere/surgery was done she became confused and showed signs of not being well. There was no concern from any nurse or doctor though and they were insinuating she'd be home soon but needed to be kept in for an extra night.

2 days later she deteriorated so bad she was placed in ICU and only then were we informed she had sepsis. 24 - 48 hours later she was dead.

While she was deteriorating we were told she was having heart failure. Yet when we received a medical report after her death it's reported that her heart was fine. Also in the medical report it states the wrong age and date of death.

It goes on to say that the cause of death was sepsis and that it was caused by enterococcus faecalis infection. They state they suspected she had sepsis on the day they did the procedere but never informed the family until she ended up in ICU almost 72 hours later.

When we asked questions they simply said that she had a very nasty infection so bad that they couldn't even tell if they removed any kidney stones during the procedere.

Anyone here work in the medical field care to give their thoughts? It's difficult to accept that she walked into hospital fine, for a standard enough procedere and days later she's dead.

At one point we were told she had 4 different infections in her blood but they clearly were not in her blood prior to the surgery being done imo.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,352 ✭✭✭apache

Exact same thing happened my mam with gall stones but she survived. She is left bedbound in a nursing home with a lot of health issues as a result. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. We brought a case against the hospital. It was tough going. She took the first offer that was given. She wasn't able to deal with it.

I take it you have a good solicitor?

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭baalad

We are in the very beginning stages so yes we have a solicitor but no idea if he's good or not

Advertisement