Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Handicapped"?

Options
  • 26-10-2023 12:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭

Is the word "handicap" used any more in the context of a person's health?

I have thought of the word "handicapped" as a dated pejorative term, replaced by the more acceptable "disabled". But recently I watched a video from a guy describing his own health. He describes himself as having a handicap rather than being disabled. In his case, his condition makes it more difficult for him to do certain things (i.e. a handicap). It's not that his condition makes it impossible for him to do things (i.e. a disability).

I hadn't looked at it that way before. A handicap is potentially less severe than a disability. Obviously it's polite to refer to people the way they want to be referred to. But is the distinction between these two terms made in medical environments or anywhere else?

Advertisement