Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damp / wet concrete floor

Options
  • 25-10-2023 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

I had to lift a carpet in a rarely used ground floor bedroom the other day. The underlay was a little damp under it and when I lifted the underlay the concrete underneath was wet.

There doesn't seem to be any obvious leak and the walls are dry, so no rising damp. There's also a damp proof course in place.

The house is a detached dormer and was built in the late 80's

A quick google says I really have 2 options

1, Dig up the floor and add a new damp proof membrane (sounds expensive)

2, Add a surface damp proof coating (i.e. some kind of paint on sealer)

What should I be looking into here before I go trying any kind of DIY job? Or is this a case of getting a builder in to have a look

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭Madd002

Husband said there's a leak, prob pipe going to radiator as originally it would go straight across under floor and into a T to connect to other rooms

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭hydrus21

A house built in the 80's should have a plastic floor membrane but could have been punctured during construction.

If you had a leaking pipe I would expect damp to be rising up the walls in places but you need to eliminate a pipe leak first.

Is your heating expansion tank constatly filling slowly? Or if a sealed system, are you loosing pressure?

If the damp is coming from the floor then 2/3 coats of bitumastic paint (Synthaproof or Blackjack) will do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Not the best idea as its not addressing the issue, will only shove the wet elsewhere, walls etc

As noted where are the heating pipes? , if gun-barrel in a 80's house then close to end of life

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭hydrus21

Common practice to use bitumastic paint as a floor membrane back in the day. Also Marley vinyl tiles on bitumen or clay tiles on a cement mix.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Just as an example of an underfloor leak:

So try and work out whether you have a leak from the central heating or off the water supply. Locate where pipes may be and start working out potential causes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 Talon.ie

I'm thinking it may not be a leak. The damp patch is in an corner of 2 exterior walls. And there's no rads on one of the walls. The most logical path for the pipes to run doesn't go past where the damp is.

I'll take a closer / better look once I get the rest of the carpet up just in case there's more damp areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Check your gutters.

DO you have a patio outside that is above the DPC?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Advertisement