Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Promotion to HEO

Options
  • 25-10-2023 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

Am on panel for HEO, currently on point 4 of EO panel. If i take the post it would mean driving an hour each way per day, compared to a km away from my current role. I've 25 years to go, Im comfortable where I currently am but kinda bored. Am I better stay in the comfortable local position or move at the cost of 2 hours a day for HEO? Its the same department, just a different county where the vacancy is and theres no HEO post where i currently am...any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭dickdasr1234

Stay where you are - life is short enough without shortening it further!

Ps coming from a country boy who moved to the smoke twenty years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

Would you have an option to wfh?

Two hours a day might seem a lot if you're not used to it but if it's only once or twice a week it's far more manageable. Plus with AL and flexi you can cut down on days you're commuting.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kate07

no dont think theres going to be a wfh option, which is crazy, the vacancy thats currently there isn't wfh and im assuming that's probably the one im going to get offered as im no 1 on panel now.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭babaracus

Do 2 years as a HEO in the new further location and then apply for mobility back to your original location.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭supersaint3

This is a no brainer ... Take the promotion, better money, better future prospects, and once you're in the role you can agitate for a bit of WFH and as already stated, eventually you will swing a mobility back to the other office.... Can't believe you'd even consider not taking... It's an hour each way in your own car not 2 buses and 2 hours etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Mr lebowski

I'd take it. You may be able step back down if it doesn't work out I believe within 6 months. I know someone in our department reverted back to EO after a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

I'd second this advice. Also, given there is a current moratorium on recruitment of administrative staff in the HSE, there are no guarantees that ongoing promotions in the civil service will continue.

I'd take the HEO position and see what happens in terms of opportunities for movement and wfh options.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Take the HEO and stick yourself on mobility the first day you're in the job. Do your 2 years and get back.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kate07

Yeah it would be insane to turn it down, mightn't get the opportunity again, thanks

Advertisement