Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Partially flooded car from recent storm

Options
  • 25-10-2023 2:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hi there.

Me and my partner own a 151 Volkswagen UP (full service history, great condition) that was caught in the recent flooding (like many others). Our car was submerged in water up to the top of the tyres and around the wheel wells so water did enter the exhaust system.

When the water subsided i checked the engine for any indication of water, there wasn't any so turned the ignition and all the electrics were ok. The only difference was the "passager airbag light not working" was flashing. Everything else normal. I turned the key and the car started first time. Of course there was swater coming out of the exhaust.

I left her Idling for about two hours occasionally bringing the engine up to about 1000 rpm more water.

She will idle like normal and periodically she will idle rough like the timing is out ( idling normal most of the time and not cutting out) I was thinking we his rough idling would be due to the water in the cat converter

We rang out insurance and still waiting on assessor to have a look at it.

I'm hoping tto get advice from a mechanic because the insurance companies are just writing off cars and giving them a fraction of what the cars are worth.

A neighbour has a 141 taxi and his assessor has told him his is a write off even though he has no water in the engine and the water only entered his exhaust catalytic converter Same as ourselves. Four grand their giving him.

Would I be better off putting the car into a garage and have them look at it and hopefully all I will need is a new cat converter and partial exhaust system? Pay for that out of pocket and not bother with the Insurance company? Or should I wait for the assessor to look at it when ever that is (their inundated with claims at the mo)

Thanking in advance for any positive feedback.

Regards Q

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,944 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

There's lot of electrics in modern cars and with water that high there's a good chance there will be issues, that's why they write of flood damaged cars as they are destroyed you are just waiting for them to fail.

A 9 year old taxi is worth feck all. 151 Up!s are going for ~€8k on Donedeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,094 ✭✭✭User1998

If you can prove your car is worth a certain amount they have to give you that amount. Their first offer is just an offer. Not a final figure. You also have the option to buy the car back so I wouldn’t worry too much about.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Check how it affects your No claims bonus if they write it off. This hit me before when I lost a car in floods in 2011.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

Advertisement