Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance with International Licence/Driving Permit

Options
  • 24-10-2023 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭

Hi folks. Struggling with something and hope you can help.

Long story short: my father-in-law is visiting from Egypt and has an international driving licence/permit. We're trying to get him insured on our car but it's proving a nightmare. Nobody will do it! We did it twice before but that was 7 years ago.

Any advice?

I searched and found a couple of other threads that said not a chance. But then how was it possible to do it before?

Any help very much appreciated!

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Yo Ghena

Hi, did you try calling a broker like quote devil? They usually have more leeway in the insurance policy

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭the_new_mr

Hi. Thanks for replying. I've tried a few brokers but not quote devil yet. Will give them a call. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,334 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, does your FIL have an Egyptian Driving Licence to go with the IDP? Because by itself, the IDP is useless, it's sole purpose is to provide a translation of the accompanying national licence, typically where the licence is issued by a country where they use a different alphabet to ours.

I ask because you mention 'international licence' in the thread title - the IDP is not a driving licence.

Advertisement