Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car sound system repair

Options
  • 24-10-2023 3:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭

Hi all.

Hope all is well.

Can I ask for a bit of help please.

A friend as a VW, not 100% of the yr. 2010 il say.

He said to me the sound system is malfunctioning

So I'm looking for a good person to repair it.

I contacted a place in Limerick city on the dock road industrial estate, but they don't do that kind of work.

So I'm looking for a place / or person were they just repair the item.

Any of you folk know of any one or anywhere.?

I've internet searched but nothing really.

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Really depends what's actually wrong with the system, is it the head unit itself or maybe the speakers?

If it's the head unit itself then it might be better to just replace it with either another identical second hand one or upgrade to an aftermarket android auto/apple car play unit.

If it's not the head unit then obviously it would need to be troubleshooted further which could involve removing trim, etc. You could try Des Kennedy located in Garryowen near the Market's Field. His working hours are random but if you can get him then he is a good auto electrician who should be able to help.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

As Bazz said its all dependant on what the exact issue is, a firmware update could potentionally fix it.

I will go out on a limb here and guess that it is more than likely an RNS510 headunit?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭giesha

How you doing both.

Thanks for quick response.

Yeah kimbot the s510.

It's a friend's car head unit.

He said to me that when you switch it on, it powers up for x seconds, then turns itself off.

He had removed the unit from the car, so I asked 1 of the guy at work & he said the guys , Roman electrician, on the dock rd industrial estate.

I took it into them & they said they don't do anything with them.

I'm not sure what this head unit does in the terms of ...it's specifications, but my friend wants the same kind of set up, without paying high hundreds for 2nd hand.

Des Kennedy, is he just auto electrician, he won't test & fix the head unit itself tho will he bazz26.?

You guys got any ideas on the equipment that you say of bazz26.?

Thanks 👍

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Very unlikely Des will fix the head unit but you could try him. But I'd be very surprised if you find anyone in the area that would. As I was saying your better off just replacing it with another compatible head unit. It's not worth spending money on trying to fix it imo, you might pick a similar one up at a breaker's yard from a crashed car if money is tight.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Your best option is to try flash new firware but I think it's actually a capacitor on the main board is blown and that's causing the issue, I couldn't find anyone in Ireland to fix mine but on Facebook I joined an owners group and there's a few people on the UK that do the repairs. Facebook marketplace or adverts for a second hand rns510, just be careful if buying as they need a pin code if going into a different car and also depending on if he has an amp/parking sensors etc it may also need to be reprogrammed with vagcom.

• Advertisement

Thanks a lot both.

Appreciate the info.

Yeah, I seen on eBay that you can get firmware disc's & map disc's.

If I get the disc for the update, you both think he'd get away with it & could fix the issue.?

I just found this on eBay..this contains firmware & map update. & a basic how to run it in.

What you think.?

Worth a go or waisting time

Thank again.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353755256172

Hi again.

Lads, you think the hard drive could be bad from my problem description.?

Thanks.

Firmware 5128 would be the preffered option. HDD could be gone but you would need to take it the headunit and listen to see if you hear a light clicking sound that would signify the HDD is gone.

Morning all.

Clicking sound you say kimbot, he said something about a clicking sound but I or he didn't think much to that, except that something could be stuck, no wrong wording, something switching off.

When I was googling yesturday I was seeing things like HDD, & then thought could it be bad, had 1 in a PS3 go funny ages ago & that was making a clicking sound & giving funny start up / shut down things until it didn't do anything. Found out it was HDD

Found a thing on Google on ..how to replace hdd & re-update it, & it worked good, still working.

I found a thing on Google last night how to replace hdd on this rns510, seems a like a good bit of striping but..

But like I say unit is sisters partner (decent guy) ,if it was mine I'd do HDD, 30gb HDD what €15 ish, just looked on Amazon sdd €30 ish, unless that's for the empty carrier..lol, & see what happens.

I no something is better than nothing, but he wants the 2nd unit (2nd hand or upgraded aftermarket android auto/apple car play unit like you said bazz26) to do the same as what's in the car now or was I should say.

Thanks bazz26 kimbot for the info / help.if I have any other questions would you take a look at it please 👍.

Thanks both..all.

Have good bank holiday.

Advertisement