Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maryland Sold

Options
  • 24-10-2023 12:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭

I see the Maryland has been sold and sold quite quickly and above the asking price, I think its a great location and if it has a bar and a restaurant license it will do well, I wonder who was so eager to buy it? then again with the government throwing money at accommodation maybe its a no brainer, I will speculate that its maybe The Causeway Group? The same crowd that own The Tower? Frisby? good news for Waterford's economy either way

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Valhalla90

Better than it laying idle! Would make a nice small boutique hotel. Hopefully something good to add to the area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

Absolutely, I think it means jobs jobs jobs, there will need to be a lot of money spent on it, that's work for builders, and I reckon with it having a restaurant and bar license that should merely be a case of renewing as there was one there already, which is an attraction in itself, I think any investor would be mad not to add on to the space to the rear, if you knock down the ad ons to the side you could build to the size equaling the size of the main building, and in the end jobs when its up and running

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭91wx763

Where will I go for da ride now 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

Is the old handmade furniture building by the Centra on the Quay still going to be a boutique hotel?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭BBM77

Actually, anyone know the history of that story? Was it just one of those bullshite stories you get in Waterford or was prostitution there investigated by the guards or something at some point in time?

• Advertisement

The old furniture shop in town yeah dat was supposed to be a hotel, i guess they were waiting on the works on quay development, msybe. As for the Maryland and prostitution, every hotel will at some point have a lady of the night working out of it.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Jaysus, you must'nt have had one in a long time so 😂

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I reckon the owners of that building are quite happy taking the money for the Ukrainians at the minute to even think about developing it.

And every hotel in the world to this day still does.

Back in day the roof of the Maryland had a neon sign "HOTEL INEXPENSIVE" on it. It's said other local hospitality establishments started the rumour about the sign meaning it was the place to go for a hooker. There was also the B and B in Parnell street that had the same "reputation".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I never saw any customers pass through its doors. Just O'Toole, and a staff member just once.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Same here, I've only ever met one person who had a meal in it also.

I heard it was almost like an old folks home towards the end. Its got bags of potential

Nicked from Geograph 😀

Advertisement