Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GEM with kids

Options
  • 24-10-2023 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

Hello all

Just looking for some thoughts / advice / musings - I am really keen to do the GEM course next year, but I am a little bit older - 38 with two small kids.

I am just wondering how intense is it? I don't want to miss out on their childhood for 4 years, but I want a fulfilling job at the sametime. has anyone else done it with kids?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭RoamingDoc

I've had colleagues do the GEM course when they had small children.

It's very tough but being organised does help it not be insurmountable.

There's no ideal time to do any of this - if you waited until all was sorted, you'd be at retirement age (and probably still not completely free to do this).

It is going to be intense and tiring but it won't cost you their childhood. You'll have to make timetables that are contorted around family life and keep an eye on yourself to make sure you don't slip when trying to keep on top of the course.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Young_gunner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

Plenty of people in my class had young children and newborns- it didn't seem insurmountable. While the course is intense, there's still more flexibility for personal life being in a college course than being in work. I wouldn't let it stop you.

It also means they'll be a little bit older when you start work which would be easier when doing rotations down the country

Advertisement