Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Neigbours new extension causing a leak

Options
  • 23-10-2023 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Neigbour is finalising an extension in their backgarden utilsing the party wall. We also have an extension orginally built in the 80s long before we bought which was when the height of the party wall was increased, this might not be a party wall technically given that it was built for our extension but it is a defactor devider between both properties. (Think 80s style square extension, common in council houses. Was reroofed in 2000s with slant added). In general we've no issue to the extension and accept the noise as part of the process which is fine and generally it has no effect on us besides a few noisey days. The builders sealed their flat roof to the end of our slightly slanted roof (Maybe less than 45 degrees). Again no real issue here.

The problem however is there has been a leak for the recent storms at the exact spot where they sealed both buildings. We've had a lot of rain previosuly and we haven't had an issue till now. We had complained and someone was sent to fix it Saturday morning however it leaked with todays rain too. Its visible by the orginal damp mark and now a second damp mark from todays rain.

Builders are still working on the build next door so plan to grab them first thing in the morning. I'd prefer not to pursue legal means for now but is there anything else that I can to ensure the builder fixes the issues properly.

My next step after this is to go out and try fix the issue myself which would involve removing the work they did by linking the 2 roofs together and retiling the bits they cut to seal the 2 extensions. My concern is that this would damage parts of the new extension however I feel it would 100% fix the leak in the corner.

Advertisement