Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber frame house

Options
  • 23-10-2023 8:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

Anyone can give some advise on timber frame with block work leaf, what’s the adv and disadv comparing w conventional brick house?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,831 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Speed of construction,less cost for electricians and plumbers and blocklayers, ability to insulate internal walls.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭bfclancy2

standard twin leaf cavity and timber frame construction both work if done correctly, in my opinion the timber frame option is easier to get correct, however you will not have the thermal mass you would get from a standard concrete block inner leaf, i have a timber frame built 2018, very happy with it, heats up very quickly but probably doesn't give back heat after the heat source has been turned off like a block build. Speed of construction is a big advantage, i broke ground mid-march 2018 and was moved in by 23rd december 2018, self build

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Xidu

Thanks for the information

what about the sound travel is it better or worse?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Xidu

Also what about friction after foundation settle down? Do you see any cracks?

also it’s not feasible to knockdown an internal wall I suppose with timber frame house?

what about the house life cycle comparing?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭bfclancy2

no cracks, of course you can take down internal walls, same as a block house, obviously some are load bearing and some are not, sound travel not an issue as internal walls have acoustic insulation, life span same as any other construction

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,365 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I don't think acoustic insulation would be a standard detail, certainly not outside of self-builds anyway.

I think you would need to explicitly specify that, developers (outside of self build) may refuse.

Advertisement