Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WWI Battlefield Relic Question?

Options
  • 23-10-2023 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

Hi All ,

so I’m going to Belgium and picking up (well depends )2 rifles from a friend . They are World War One dug out of dirt with bent barrels etc …. No way of firing rusted etc and just a nice wall hanger . Do I need a licence to bring them back to Ireland ? I tried my best googling but I’m sure there is a person on here who knows . Or do they need a cert proof housed etc , one look you can see it’s like not a chance to repair

Post edited by otmmyboy2 on

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Legally speaking, if the firearms are pre unitary cartridge they are antique and there is no licence or authorisation needed to have them for collection purposes.

If they were for shooting then a normal firearms cert would apply.

In this case the firearms are Ww1, so not by Irish definition antique.

The law also does state that any deactivated firearm needs an authorisation by the local superintendent, but these are not deactivated so that doesn't apply.

The law also specifies that a firearm does not cease to be a firearm by virtue of it missing parts, being faulty, etc.

Going from all that they should be viewed, strictly speaking as firearms, needing firearms certs.

However, from a practical point of view if you contact your garda District office and ask would these need an authorisation given they are essentially scrap metal with an interesting past at this point they will point you in the right direction and, probably helping to provide them with photos of the relics, ask the firearms policy unit who will most likely say they don't need any form of licencing, or they may say they need an authorisation(free, basically a letter from your local super saying you can possess X).

Not a solicitor, not legal advice, disclaimer, disclaimer, etc, but given what is sold without licence in auction houses around Ireland you would likely be fine without any licencing, if the state of these rifles are relic-like as you say.

Open to correction by any other resident militaria scrap metal collectors here of course. 😉

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 1,432 Mod ✭✭✭✭otmmyboy2

Alternatively actually, you could contact the Dept Of Justice, Firearms Section, and enquire whether an import licence would be required for the above relics.

Would likely be a faster approach and they should have a good idea what is required(ie firearms cert and import permit, authorisation and import permit, just import permit, or nothing at all).

Never forget, the end goal is zero firearms of any type.

S.I. No. 187/1972 - Firearms (Temporary Custody) Order - Firearms seized

S.I. No. 21/2008 - Firearms (Restricted Firearms and Ammunition) Order 2008 - Firearm types restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2009 - Firearms banned & grandfathered

S.I. No. 420/2019 - Magazine ban, ammo storage & transport restricted

Criminal Justice (Miscellaneous Provisions) Act 2023 - 2023 Firearm Ban (retroactive to 8 years prior)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,954 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

At worst,if they are deactivated by being stuck in a former Belgian battlefield for the last century or so and have reached the status of being a rather awkward club in lethality potential, at most they should require nothing more than an authorisation as wall hangers. Supply some pics to your local Super and the DOJ as said previously,and see what they come back with.As this is a bit more obscure in the deact sections and not many people have got ASFIK into the battlefield relic area.So do keep us informed.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭depaor01

As there could be an unfired round in the breech, this could be an issue for instance if the bolt is rusted shut and a clear barrel isn't verifiable. It's still an unfired round.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,042 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,954 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Or a thin wooden dowel a marker, and a measuring tape?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Doclowegan

I am not a legal expert, but importing firearms, even non-functional ones, can be subject to strict regulations and licensing requirements. It's crucial to consult with relevant authorities in both Belgium and Ireland to ensure compliance with local laws. In many cases, firearms may require documentation, and authorities may need to verify that the items are permanently deactivated or rendered incapable of firing. Attempting to import firearms without proper authorization can lead to serious legal consequences, so it's essential to seek guidance from official channels.

Advertisement