Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mobile clutch replacement. Yes, no?

Options
  • 23-10-2023 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭

I could use a new clutch for the car and probably DMF at the same time.

Mobile clutch replacement would be convenient but not sure about their credentials or any comeback if there is a problem, has anyone used any of these companies mobile fitters and had a good experience?

TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭sumo12

Very hard thing to do on the side of the road. Not even sure if anyone would take it on...?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Replacing a clutch usually involves removing the gearbox first. Nobody is going to be able to do that on your driveway or the side of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,430 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

There’s guys in the UK doing a few clutches a day on the road, absoluteky terrible working conditions but some people do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,185 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cannot see why anyone would bother unless they were very well paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭Whocare

Kevin-albert William on YouTube do mobile Clutch replacement but he in uk . Never even seen someone Advertising it in Ireland doing mobile clutch replacement

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭MrCostington

When I was young and dumb, I did my Ford Sierra on the side of the road, and by that I don't mean a driveway, on my own. I'd want to be paid a good few grand to try that again!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

There are a couple of companies doing it here, but it does seem a bit nuts alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,834 ✭✭✭✭listermint

1 thing yes they are going to able to do it on your driveway. It's not rocket science, it's grunt and labour and as above pointed out there are various guys doing it in the UK earning good money operating their own business via hardwork without the overhead of garage space and associated ancillaries.

It's arguably quite smart. Single type of service, repeatable and unique as you work around the customer rather than then working around you.

Given the correct tooling you can do it quite fast.The youtube lad I felt created alot of effort on himself doing things quite manual. Mobile hoists and hydraulic lifts would half the effort.

I've changed 2 clutches and flywheels on my own stoney driveway. Second faster than the first. Both manual with only a car jack as assistance.

Again not rocket science. Once you know they've got references and doing many of them then they should be fine frankly.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,834 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Could probably charge 250-450 for labour. 2 of those a day for 5 days a week. You'd be earning nice money over the year working for yourself.

Key is regular cadence of work quick turn around, right tools.

Advertisement