Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zinsser Gardz On Mist Coated Plaster

Options
  • 23-10-2023 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭

MODS: I posted the below post on the "Interior Design and Decorating" forum before I spotted this DIY forum, in the hope of getting an answer.

Please feel free to delete the original one if required.

Hi all,

Im looking for advise regarding an interior wall in a 1 year old new build extension.

I allowed the plaster to dry for a few months before I put on a watered-downed mist coast on it to help seal it up.

This paint came up all patchy and it looks like the plasterer used PVA in the plaster OR they over polished the plaster, I could be wrong on both counts but all research I've done online usually points either of those 2 options.

I now want to finish off painting this wall with a decent top coat finish but am afraid it may let patches flash through.

Would I be able to put a coat on Zinsser GARDZ on this mist coated wall, and then put my chosen top coat over it ?

I know GARDZ is ok to use on "Troublesome surfaces" like chalky flat builders paint as it'll bind it down, and can be used to go over new dried plaster \ plaster boards and even old wall paper glue aswell to allow top coating.

Lastly, it says that when GARDZ is dry, its compatible with all paints but I've read 2 comments on different forums that said they had problems applying emulsion over Gardz due to its hard shiny nature, yet the tin says its compatible with all paints.

What are you guys and gals experiences with this stuff if you've used it and do you think it would go on to my walls without issue ?

Thank a million all and genuinely appreciate any info.\ recommendations given !

Advertisement