Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Manual transmission car automatically dropping gears for a second

Options
  • 22-10-2023 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I'm driving a Mazda 6 with manual transmission. The dash displays the gear I'm in.

Lately when I'm driving, the gears seem to have a mind of its own. Take today for instance, I was driving at a constant speed in 6th gear. Every so often the revs ramped up for a second and the dash showing the gear in 5th, then ther revs dropped back and the dash showed 6th again. I didn't manually change gear. Sometimes it showed 5th gear, less often showed 4th, but always goes back to 6th.

Also when I'm revving up, it might briefly drop a gear and then ramp up as normal.

It sounds like something isn't working properly. Any idea what I need to get replaced?

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,461 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Do you find that the clutch is slipping at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 millsy

Not sure how that would feel. There does sort of feel like there is brief loss of acceleration

• Registered Users Posts: 73,430 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The car guesses the gear based on the engine rpm vs road speed. So if it’s saying 5th on the dash then the clutch is slipping.

So is that a clutch replacement? There's only about 60k miles (100k km) up on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭Miscreant

If the clutch is slipping then yes, it requires replacement. Mileage is no measure of how long a clutch will last, I have seen them needing replacement with less than 30k Kms on them.

• Advertisement

Ball park how much would I expect to pay for a clutch replacement?

I recall someone telling me before that it's a good idea to also replace the gearbox when replacing the clutch as a lot of the cost of replacing the clutch is the labour and you can save that labour cost when replacing both together. Is this a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

I think you may be confusing the flywheel with gearbox. It can be worth replacing the flywheel while the clutch is being replaced, a visual inspection by the fitter will usually determine whether it needs replacing or not. If you plan on holding onto the car for awhile it could be well worth changing at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Ballpark figures are hard to judge these days with all the price increases that have happened in the past couple of years. Used to be a clutch and flywheel could be anywhere from €700 to €1000 in a decent garage. Nowadays, it is potentially more.

Bring the car to a reputable garage and have them assess the clutch (usually done by driving the car). They will be best placed in letting you know what is needed.

Advertisement