Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I buy?

Options
  • 22-10-2023 1:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hello,

looking for some advice from people more knowledgable than me!

went to look at a caravan yesterday and appears that there has been some ingress from one of the side windows, the window was cracked & repaired but the wall underneath has swelled and blistered, felt spongy, but didn’t feel wet. Damp meter was off the charts on it, but the current owner assured me that it’s a result of an old problem, is also going to look into a cost to have the window replaced rather than repaired before we make a decision.

were still hesitant as it could lead to more underlying problems that we won’t know until we pull back and investigate, which obviously we couldn’t do without buying.

question to you all, would you take the risk if you saw this when viewing?

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭rustynutz

Walk away, unless it's dirt cheap, and you can fix it yourself, it's not worth the bother. It looks like they have already added corrugated metal to the wall to stabilise it under the window. Damp is usually 10 times worse than what is visible on the surface. Damp repairs usually run into the thousands, run away and count yourself lucky u spotted it before buying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

Those pimples in the wallpaper are a sign of mildew in the time. That complete wall will need to be stripped out and replaced and that might only be the start of it. As said above unless you get it very cheap, you know the full extent of the damp and are happy to fix it yourself, walk away. The caravan is unusable as it is as the timber in that wall is so rotten it would be unsafe to tow.

Advertisement