Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Best Diesel Fuel Additive

Options
  • 21-10-2023 9:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭

I have seen a lot of these knocking around and my mate swears by it for his diesel BMW. Just wondering what people use and if they have found any decent products? do they actually clean the engines better than running without?

Could it even increase MPG performance?

Seen some claims they are snake oil as well :-) so seems a mixed bag

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭mikeecho

HVO100

Cleaner burning and a cetane value somewhere between 70 and 90

(Regular diesel is 51)

No need for additives.

But if you insist on using something.. BG245

• Registered Users Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Clo-Clo

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

There are uses for additives; most certainly.

Dipetane is quite useful (dipetane.ie). Many also swear by Miller's Diesel.

A simple bottle of Redex has helped many a car, petrol or diesel. Try Youtube for a Fifth Gear piece on that.

Its a tired old chestnut that additives are not helpful. Of course they have their uses. Will they save money? No.

Source: I sold fuels and lubricants for many years and received training from a number of major oilco labs.

But don't base it on baseless comments. Buy a few over a few months and try them. Or hit HonestJohn.co.uk or comments on Youtube. Plenty of valid purposes for additives on occasion. If its a town-driven car, try a simple shot of Redex or a heavy dose of Dipetane and Italian tune it. Your car will be as new, emissions-wise. My multi-year NCTs on my 240k mile diesel prove it.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭walshtipp

I use Liqui Moly super diesel additive (1806) and diesel system cleaner (5156) every now and then to keep things clean. Can't say how much of an effect they have, but I have never had any engine related problems with my diesels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,088 ✭✭✭mikeecho

It's a direct replacement for diesel.

Car manufacturers will say it's only approved for certain engines from a certain year onwards, this is only because they're not gonna test in older engines that they no longer make.

It's a lot safer and cheaper than additives, which won't be approved by any car manufacturers.

• Advertisement

Saving money would be huge bonus, just thinking about keeping the engine running better. I plan to keep onto the car for a significant period so if I can do anythign additional then I don't mind spending a few quid. I heard of Millers alright.

Is this the Dipetane? https://www.micksgarage.com/d/fuel-additives/products/3348856/dipetane-1-litre-bottle

Its a 2017 BMW 2ltr diesel, I know it used in trucks etc and when I google you see lots of them saying it can be used but didn't think you could for a standard BMW diesel

• Registered Users Posts: 4,486 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Yes that is Dipetane. Many large fleets believe it saves money but that would always be marginal in car usage. Proper driving style saves the most.

Fifth gear re Redex for rejuvenating bhp.

Are some fuel and oil additives particularly worthwhile?

Yes, they are. Scotty knows.

https://youtu.be/gg9ppeUMpK4?si=MCamMAkNsvyXHOkU

I'd be very careful with what fuel you use when dealing with common rail high pressure systems. Unlike older TDs, common rail are very sensitive to fuel viscosity.

Whats putting me off HVO, for now, is the use of animal fats, no matter how trace, in it. I'm certainly not burning that.

https://www.greencarcongress.com/2023/06/20230601-tande.html

Thanks, might try the redux as Mickgarage have it and buy a few parts from them(wipers etc)

Only costing less than 7 quid with code

• Registered Users Posts: 897 ✭✭✭Xpro

I’ve been running HVO in my 3.0d bmw for 2 tanks. Definitely better MPG, and almost no smoke. Not that my car smoked, but theres zero smoke even on full acceleration. I have sports 200cell cat downpipe on my car.

As for additives, I’ve been running 2-ehn which is the additive they use for bumping up the cetane number in diesel fuel. ( pretty much what you get when you buy premium diesel

Also 2-ehn is commonly used in Bio Diesel home fuels to raise the cetane number.

2-EHN can be got in the UK, hard to get over here. The only product that contains 2EHN sold over here is Millers additive from Halford but expensive at 20€ for 300ml.

In the UK you get 5L for 35£

https://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/product/2-ehn-highest-quality-99-pure-2-ethyl-hexyl-nitrate-cetane-booster/

• Advertisement
Advertisement