Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a campervan

Options
  • 21-10-2023 6:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

We are hoping to buy a campervan and have been to the Dusseldorf exhibition and the Birmingham exhibition. We are interested in the Malibu 640. Can anyone advise _ is it better to buy on the continent or in the UK or in northern Ireland for import into republic of Ireland? Any advice appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

Do you care about LHD or RHD? The UK is the worst place to import from as there is import duty, vat and vrt to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭traco

I imagine the continent, UK will have VAT, Duty and VRT. Been considering similar for down the road in two or three yeras for retirement travel and reckon LHD from the continent is the best option.

Prices seem higher in Germany and Holland but I haven't really been digging that deep. Our intended use would be for Europe so LHD is not an issue. At the moment the struggle is small vs large ie VW Transporter size and hotels or airbnbs.

Had hoped to get to the NEC last weekend but didn't work out and it was with a view to looking at current models that will be two or three years old if and when we decide its what we want. The other thing to keep a close eye on is the load capacity as some can be very small and you can tip over the 3,500kg threshold very easily if thats an issue for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Shoog

Transporter size is little more than a day van, you can manage a week or so if the weather's good.

If you want the best value then large is going to be the right move.

Thanks - this is what I'm struggling with. I reckon the most Mrs Traco would cope with in a Trasporter is 3 nights and then we would need to check in somewhere. I'm also a bit concerned about luggage space as would intend to carry two bromptons and two inflatable stand up paddle boards. That will reall stretch something stasporter size so a larger van with a garage makes more sense.

The downside of a bigger van is citys, narrow streets, small villages and parking etc although I have no issue anywhere around Ireland in out LWB HR Transit so I may be over thinking it. Its just height restrictions and multi storey car parks etc.

Anyway I think we should rent for a week and see how both play out, maybe I should start a separte thread rather than hijacking this one but I would like to see how the OP gets on

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭martco

ugh I've been there and recently too

financially if you're living in Rep of Ireland buying in the UK is surely a disaster, you'll get hit with it all. a left hooker wouldn't bother me and it's where it's gonna be most at home on all its future adventures in my case

but in the end I backed off the idea because I reckon the prices are literally peak bats at the moment and had concerns about future resale (could be wrong its hard to know what money means anymore to people lol but for me it was a risk) anyway I've parked the notion completely in hope the covid vanlife craziness for them dies back a bit or an economic crash comes along and I can pickup a bargain as hard as that is to see happening right now lol. I may even build my own in the coming couple years :)

traco - I think tho you came to similar conclusions to myself & mrs tho about the livability aspect (in my case VW Transporter vs Crafter argument) oh and wise decision to rent first and see how it plays out in real life, I learned loads that way myself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

I use a long and high MH for work and leisure regularly throughout France, Belgium, Germany, Switerland, Austria and (Northern) Italy. It's not the height or length that cause me problems, but LEZs and "no campers" restrictions (especially since so many "van lifers" have abused their relatively easy access to town centres, sea fronts and other desireable locations). This will be less of a concern if you're buying new, as you'll almost certainly be starting with a Euro 6 vehicle, but keep it in mind if you opt for an older model.

However, the benefit of the extra living space more than outweighs the inconvenience of having to park further out from a town centre that might otherwise have been the case. I have three leisure activities that each require a suitcase of subject-specific gear, plus the equivalent of two suitcases of professional equipment, PPE and miscellaneous accessories. Added to that, both my work and my leisure travel takes me to places where going shopping is impractical, undesireable or impossible, so I'll usually travel with enough food for at least a couple of weeks, which I can only do because I have the space and the payload.

One thing to bear in mind if you buy on the Continent: sockets! You'll be getting a set of euro-plug (230V) sockets, so you may need to also buy adaptors and/or change plugs if you want to bring your favourite kettle/coffee-maker/toaster from Ireland or the UK. And on a related topic: don't forget that each country in Europe has different fittings/regulators for their local gas bottles. If you're planning long-term touring, you'll either need to allow space to store a "foreign" bottle (or two), or get a refillable LPG system. In my case, I've opted to cut right back on gas altogether and comprehensively upgraded my solar system instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

CR pretty much sums it up.

VRT for EU imports is 13.5% of what the Revenue think its worth, not the invoice so no point in trying to massage it down.

EU sockets not really an issue, I made up a few extension cables with a euro plug and Irish sockets.

If getting an inverter, buy big and watch the cable sizings: do you research carefully here.

Engine choice is key

Maybe sign up to a CV/MH forum and just look at the issues

If buying with aircon already fitted, won't work unless u are plugged in

I would, as CR intimates, focus on the LBs and try to buy the dry versions

The other thing to watch is the headlights if buying LHD, everyone knows how to go from RHD to LHD but I have failed to find someone who knows about it here in Ireland.

Gross payload is important too, unlikely to be weighed here but if you have a prang and are found to be over weight.....

Finally, if you buy less than 4 years old, no CVRT required till year 4

as noted, UK option is a clusterfcuk

Good luck

ps re this from post 3

Prices seem higher in Germany and Holland

very difficult to tell unless you are in the vans, I looked at 50 and they all have little nuances which make price comparison difficult

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Thanks @CelticRambler Lot of great info there. I have a Brompton electric which I use for commute so a second one is in mind. They look goofy bt fold up very small and ideal for trains buses etc. So I've kind of settled on them to deal with travel in and out of towns and cities. This is mainly due to the points you've mentioned where many places are restricting access. Folded up they aren't much bigger than a carry on suitcase.

Inflatable stand up paddle boards are bulky and the other hobby is hiking. I think we'd be lucky to get all that gear in at sub 100kg.

There is a 6m Malibu that looks nice and also the Furgok from Poland that I like. I've kind of settled at 6m max length and also think I'd like refillable gas rather than bottles as it all seems simpler.

It would also need to be auto just to make life easier for Mrs Traco but I'm working on getting her driving the Transit at the moment for practise and it's just under 6m.

Watching vids from the NEC show there seem to be a some motorhomes now that are narrow body at 2.10m so very similar to a can. Again much more research is needed as there is a lot to learn and understand. I think the type of usage is the critical factor in deciding.

Advertisement