Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Huge plane today

Options
  • 21-10-2023 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭

A huge wide bodied plane flew at low altitude over west Clare today around 15:30. It seemed to be a four propeller plane. Obviously some sort of transport plane, could it have been military?

I know such planes come into Shannon all the time but this one was lower than usual and on a different flight path than I usually see. The way it was heading I’m not sure it was stopping in Shannon.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

Could it have been this by any chance?

A C130 Hercules landed in Shannon at 15h44.

I tried to post a link but it’s enormous and boards won’t let me post the link - sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭EchoIndia

A C-130 is neither huge nor wide-bodied in aviation terms, but it all sounded pretty dramatic anyway.

Looking at the track flown, it may have initially been going for runway 06 but then routed south of the river to the west and came in from around Loop Head for the downwind and a right turn in for runway 24. This would have been as per ATC vectors and you can listen back on Live ATC if so inclined.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭jackboy

Just looked that C130 plane up. I think that was it alright. It probably appeared so large as it was flying low, below cloud level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭dmc17

Photo from today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭jackboy

That it alright. The four smoke trails really added to the effect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

US Navy Hercules call sign Convoy they asked permission to fly over the Clare Coast before landing in Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,849 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

Bit of sightseeing?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Psychlops

Correct, CONVOY3651, US Navy C130 Reg:165313 Tailcode "AX", so most likely from VR-53

This plane is small, but that plane is far away?

Advertisement