Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tiling vs laminate to the kitchen floor in an A2 rated new build without UFH?

Options
  • 21-10-2023 10:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 40

Hey folks,

We have bought a new build with an A2W heating system and A2 rating but doesn't have a UFH to the ground floor. I know with UHF tiling would be ideal for Kitchen and it would be warm.

Since ours doesn't have UHF, my partner is skeptical about tiling that it will be cold and can't walk barefoot, and wants to go with laminate or at least laminate to the dining area. But i feel going full tiles will have it's advantage as cleaning will be easier and it will have better finish than half laminate & half tile.

I'd really appreciate it if any new home (without UHF) owners here who have already tiled thier kitchen could shed some light on it?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Back Home

Use Lino,

Warm, easy to put down, hard wearing, and back in fashion, modern Lino looks fantastic and much cheaper than tiles.

Tiles- cold expensive, permanent, you better like your choice.

Laminate, why bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I agree, there are lots of very nice 'lino' type materials. I have laminate or tiles everywhere else in my house, but in the kitchen I have a good quality vinyl floor covering. Its warm and dishes or cups have a reasonable chance of surviving if you drop them. You can also change it at reasonable cost if it does get damaged or you get bored with it. Either way I would be doubtful about putting laminate in the kitchen unless you go for the expensive waterproof type.

Only issue with vinyl is manufacturers are obsessed with making imitation boards/tiles, I really had to search for one that was an alternative pattern.

vinyl tiles are fantastic, I redone two bathrooms with them, I could fine no good reason to use tiles.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 mitra

Thanks folks for the suggestion. Yesterday we went to a tile/flooring shop and we had a look at the vinyl. It does look great. Only thing they mentioned is it could be slightly expensive depending on how the floor is. If the floor is uneven they said it needs to be levelled before installing.

another option I saw was waterproof laminates. Slightly expensive than normal laminate. Does anyone have any experience with that?

If it's Concrete it can be levelled by a Concrete polishing company, but the advice you got is correct it has to be dead smooth for lino or vinyl.

Plenty of non waterproof laminate put in hallways that lasted years and years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I know you don't have UFH, but there's no benefit to tiles in an A rated house with UFH. The water from your heat pump is barely above 30 degrees so you won't feel the heat from the floor.

Thanks for clarifying that!

So, will tiling make sense (only to the kitchen and hallway) in an A2-rated house, regardless it has UHF or not? Considering these houses are built with very high heat efficiency and better insulation throughout, will the tiled floors be warm enough to walk barefoot? We are currently in a D1/D2 rated house, and we can barely step on the tiled floors during the winter months.

Yes, it's a concrete floor. I should better get an estimated quote for both Lino and Waterproof laminate from the local store...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,898 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

I can only speak to my own house which has UFH.

The floors are never cold, but they're never toasty warm either.

What not walk on the concrete floor you have and see if it's too cold?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,052 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have a tiled-on-concrete floor, no ufh, in a comfortable, well insulated house, it is not warm but not freezing cold either, the laminate and the vinyl would be better but we always wear slippers or socks. Bit pointless trying to heat a house to a level where you can walk barefoot in winter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I put down lvt last year in a kitchen/dining room. Warm under foot and waterproof

Advertisement