Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timed puzzles and learning?

Options
  • 20-10-2023 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

I use chess.com. I read a thread there discussing how to translate ability in solving chess puzzles into your ability to win games. The practical advice was to slow down, only make your first move after thinking through the whole thing, and avoid using a process of elimination to identify what must be the right move.

This seems reasonable. It occurred to me that the puzzle rush and puzzle battle teach you exactly the opposite habits - literally how to rush through while minimizing the scope of your thinking. So perhaps playing these sorts of games is counter-productive to improving your chess?

Or perhaps I'm overthinking it and if I want to improve I should improve my knowledge of openings and theory, both of which I have invested less into than tactics puzzles, and both are clearly weaker as a result. ..?

I think I'm very inconsistent in games. The analysis bot rates me at 2000-2200 when I play my best, but much lower when I don't. It usually says my middlegame is very good and my openings not so good.

On chess.com I have 2550ish puzzle rating (my max), 32 max score on 5 min puzzle rush, 1400ish usually playing 10 min games, (max rating a bit over 1500).

But rambly. My main question is - should you stop playing speed puzzle games if you want to maximize what you learn from puzzles in general?

Advertisement