Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bridging 1 second power gap for Android Auto device, calculating size of capacitor

Options
  • 19-10-2023 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭

I have fitted a wireless Android Auto screen to my car which hangs on the ignition. Very handy thing to have, it works as a reverse cam, dash cam, hands free and of course Android Auto device, it has vastly improved the user experience of my absolute bog standard car (Dacia Lodgy poverty spec, it hasn't even got central locking and it has keep fit windows all round)

The issue I have, if I turn off the engine and start it again, the power to the Android unit and the radio gets cut for a split second. The Android unit then has to go through the entire startup sequence again and connect to my phone. Also, it absolutely doesn't like short power interruptions and so it takes 10-20 minutes to reconnect my phone which is very annoying. Connecting it directly to the battery is also a no-go, since this would drain the power when parked up, so whatever solution I come up with has to cut the power to the Android device when the ignition is off.

My question, the plan is to fit a capacitor in parallel in the power line to the android unit, but I have no idea how to calculate the size of that capacitor.

12 Volt, 400 mA, 6W and the capacitor should be able to bridge a power-gap of about 5-10 seconds, which is already overkill.

I tried and had a look at the formulas, but I am a mathematical moron and I struggle with calculating fuel consumption in l/100 km on my car.

Comments

Advertisement