Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RURAL BROADBAND

Options
  • 19-10-2023 9:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

we have been using Regional Broadband for a few years now and speeds in general are not great. Its the dish on the side of the house connected to modem setup. Lately its been not working at different times and some times for days for whatever reason, as modem etc. seems fine. Their customer service is hopeless. A service guy called and checked the dish and said thats fine, but of course never checked the modem etc. inside the house. I have been thinking of getting in the Imagine wireless, is it any good / reliable?, we are in the south co. kilkenny region. We are out in "The sticks" and no fibre available.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,955 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

You might get more responses in this forum:

There's a lengthy thread on Imagine, which I would suggest you read the last few pages of, before contacting them.

When are you due to get NBI fibre? If you don't know, you can check here:

For rural dwellers, some people have used 5G mobile broadband solutions, others (like me) are using Starlink, which is a little bit expensive to get, but the service has been excellent, with speeds generally over 200Mbps down and 10-20Mbps up all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Drymaster9000

Starlink is definitely the way I would go if you want something reliable. The price tag is €65 a month.

Have had Starlink since April 2022, 15 minutes outside Killarney town in Kerry with no broadband and shocking mobile coverage. Averaged down between 150-450 Mbps consistently and 10-20 upload. Finally had 1GB Fibre installed yesterday. I contacted Starlink and past the 12 month mark after purchase they do not offer return refunds for the hardware so I'll be looking to pass mine on if possible.

Extremely reliable uptime and when it goes down, I can recall max 30 minutes over 3 notable occasions. Starlink are now selling refurbished kits at €225 now instead of the €450 tag. I had it out 24/7 in all weathers as you can imagine and didn't feel it affected the service at all.

Easy to transport, stow away if you need to or going away for a long period. Its worth checking out.

Advertisement