Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Flap Tunnel Through Wall

Options
  • 19-10-2023 9:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭

I'm looking to have a cat flap tunnel going in/out via the kitchen walls and not the front main door. The kitchen doors are double glazed windows.

Does anybody know of anyone who does such work?

I guess its a matter of making a big hole trough the wall then adding the cat flaps but id rather a competent person do this than myself.

If anyone can help with ideas or someone who does do such work then that be great

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,261 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

We did a door through a double glazed door to the balcony previously; simply called the local glass company and explained what we wanted, provided them the cat flap and they sorted it all out for us. They replaced the whole glass in the bottom part of the door (two sections with a wood panel in the middle) rather than try to go through the existing one. Hence my recommendation (assuming you want to go through the door instead of the wall which would be harder to fix later) would be to call around and explain what you want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭volchitsa

Hi,

We had the same problem for a cat flap, and in the end we solved it by replacing a (double glazed) panel in a window by a new double-glazed section, nearly the same but with the lower part being replaced by a frame the size of the cat flap.

We got it all done by a glazier, for about €200, including installation, plus there was the cost of the cat flap itself - we got one that opens with the cat's microchip, so that random cats can't get in. That was about the same again as the work needed to put it in, so near enough €400. But it looks good - though, saying that, I probably wouldn't put it at the front of the house TBH.

Also it wasn't a big panel - I assume a big French-window-sized one would cost a lot more. If you do it on a widow you have to be sure the cat has easy enough access from outside to trigger the opening mechanism - she has to be right under the little "cover" for it to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,811 ✭✭✭Alkers

You can get a core through a wall and put a cat flap in that, no problem

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭dublinjock

Just to let you know we went with a new double window Payne.

We got the glass company to come out measure up and take the cat flap with them, We did need to get a cat flap adapter for the window.

The glass must be specially made you cannot just cut a square out of the existing glass.

The process will cost 420 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,019 ✭✭✭volchitsa

That sounds like what we did: our window was much smaller which may explain why yours costs more.

Are you happy with it? (I'm very happy with ours - only problem is she can now bring in mice, but that's a different story!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭dublinjock

Yes we happy with it. It works well expensive but worth it.

Advertisement