Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaps between window frame and reveals outside

Options
  • 18-10-2023 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭

I notice there's a slight gap around where reveal meets frame

Should that be sealed with tec 7 or similar

Walls are pumped with insulation , warmer homes scheme I dunno what they used

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Internally I presume? That's the background ventilation. 😂

You get that 0.5mm gap from the flex on the frame over time. Is the window sealed with air-tight tape anyway? Use a painters caulk if it's already sealed.

Just if you go down the road of using a silicone sealant, just bear in mind that paint won't stick the same at that joint.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Outside

Gaps are small

• Subscribers Posts: 41,003 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

caused by drying out of render.

tec7 is fine here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

Ya that's what I would be using white tec7 ,wouldn't trust anything else

House is 25 years old

• Subscribers Posts: 41,003 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It's unusual that there wasn't a silicone bead applied originally. Good idea to do it now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭bfclancy2

it'd be very unusual for silicone to be applied when windows were installed originally unless they were a retrofit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Sorry for jumping on this thread but would tec7 work here as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭10-10-20

It wouldn't be the best solution as you might have some other issue there than just a render gap. Has the window pulled away from the reveal on the far left and is this visible inside too? Is there any sign of water staining or rust anywhere coming off the lintel above the window? if so this might indicate that you have a faulty lintel. But I'm hopeful that it's just a small spot of failed render.

If it's just the render which has fallen away, fill it with some external filler, then later on fun a bead of frame/window sealant (the external type) over the joint.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Just checked what you said and it appears to he just render that has failed. None of what you suggested appears to be happening thankfully.

Advertisement